Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Enoch Phillips

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Debbie

Debbie Report 11 Aug 2009 21:45

Can anyone help me locate Enoch Phillips. His son was born 1861/2 (got from his marriage cert). He married Amelia Lampett in 1903 and it states his father was Enoch an engineer. The were all from Birmingham but there is a family rumour the Phillips side is decended from Scotland. His first name could possibly be William too, the only reason why i think that is there are a few William Enochs in the tree but possibly thats due to decendents names?
I havnt been able to locate Williams (Enochs son) birth so i dont even know his mothers name.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as im not sure where to look from here

Freewheel

Freewheel Report 11 Aug 2009 21:52

Have you looked at 1881 censuses?

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 11 Aug 2009 21:53

This is the only william phillips marriage showing in 1903 to an Amelia and her surname is Sweetman!

Marriages Dec 1903 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Benton Edward Birmingham 6d 263
Geveran Amy Birmingham 6d 263
PHILLIPS William Birmingham 6d 263
Sweetman Amelia Birmingham 6d 263
SWEETMAN Amelia Birmingham 6d 263

Potty

Potty Report 11 Aug 2009 21:54

What about this one:

1871 England Census
about Enoch Phillips
Name: Enoch Phillips
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1858
Relation: Son
Father's Name: Enoch
Mother's Name: Mary
Where born: New Village, Staffordshire, England
Civil parish: Lower Heyford
Town: Lower Heyford
County/Island: Northamptonshire
Registration district: Northampton
Sub-registration district: Bugbrooke
ED, institution, or vessel: 4
Household schedule number: 98
Household Members: Name Age
Enoch Phillips 52 - Engineer Iron works, b North Wales
Mary Phillips 52
Thomas Phillips 16
Enoch Phillips 13

Freewheel

Freewheel Report 11 Aug 2009 21:54

1911 census

PHILLIPS WILLIAM M 1856 55 Birmingham Warwickshire
PHILLIPS WILLIAM ENOCH M 1905 6 Birmingham Warwickshire
PHILLIPS AMELIA F 1861 50 Birmingham Warwickshire

Birth of son

Births Sep 1904 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PHILLIPS William Enoch Birmingham 6d 93

Debbie

Debbie Report 11 Aug 2009 21:55

Thats right with the marriage, i forgot that Sweetman was her name when they married as she was a widower, Lampett was her maiden name

Debbie

Debbie Report 11 Aug 2009 21:59

How reliable are the marriage certs for names? i mean could they be down as William when theyre really enoch or vice versa?
My grandad is a William, his dad a William Enoch, then a William again and then Enoch

Freewheel

Freewheel Report 11 Aug 2009 21:59

There is no record of anyone named Enoch Phillips in any of the Scotland censuses.

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 11 Aug 2009 21:59

As freewheel says,you need to check the transcript at least,on 1911 entry that she has found,to get williams birth place.

Freewheel

Freewheel Report 11 Aug 2009 22:00

Suggest your best bet is to purchase credits for 1911 and find out where William says he was born. (Snap, Viv - typing as you posted)

As for the information on marriage certs, it can be unreliable. It looks, for instance, as though William lied about his age when he married Amelia.

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 11 Aug 2009 22:04

Lots of Enoch Phillips on wales census.

Debbie

Debbie Report 11 Aug 2009 22:08

thanks for everyones help. Going to purchase the 1911 census to get his birthplace

Debbie

Debbie Report 11 Aug 2009 22:19

William was born in Aston, so was right in thinking Birmingham.According to census though he is 5 yrs older that what his birth cert states

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 11 Aug 2009 22:30

A lot of peoples ages were guesses,or shaved off years to marry a much younger partner,and also unfortunatley they also sometimes thought they were born somewhere because they grew up there from a young child.
Also lots of people made up fathers names and occupations,then said they were deceased, to cover the fact they were illegitimate,then you get the ones who used their grandfathers names on marriage certs as father,often believing they were their father.
Rant over!

Will take a look on census for him

Debbie

Debbie Report 11 Aug 2009 22:32

Thank you, need all the help i can get!!!

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 11 Aug 2009 22:33

Did he say if Enoch was deceased on marriage cert?

Debbie

Debbie Report 11 Aug 2009 22:34

yes it did. Also said his occupation was an engineer

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 11 Aug 2009 22:36

The 1871 that potty has posted could do with another look at.

witnesses on marriage of any help?
What is the address he married from?
And what is williams occupation?

Debbie

Debbie Report 11 Aug 2009 22:38

One of the witnesses was a Mary (i think) Ann Phillips
William was living at 320 Summer Lane, Birmingham and Amelia was at Holiday St,Birmingham
He was a stableman

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 11 Aug 2009 23:00

I have not found anything I am sorry and dont know what to suggest next,except maybe to find Amelia in 1901 and look at the surrounding area,s for him and an address search on Find my past for the address in 1901 that he married from.