Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

trying to find father of john pike

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Coralie

Coralie Report 19 Jun 2010 06:30

Please can someone help me I have a john pike b1812 died 1870 he married elizabeth sedgemore. Been told John pike's father was Calmody pollexfer pike b 1787 in colaton raleigh, devon, england but cannot find any record of him or who he married.
please help
coralie

patchem

patchem Report 19 Jun 2010 07:34

Where in Devon does John Pike come from, and have you looked on IGI for a birth?
Who gave you the information for John's father, and what evidence did they have?
Thanks.

Coralie

Coralie Report 19 Jun 2010 09:47

william palmer gave me the info but nothing to back it up. I have john pike's death certificate but it doesn't have parents on it. I know John married elizabeth sedgemore and that they had a child george pike the year that John died. William also said that John's siblings are Maria b.1809, John b 1810 died in first year of life, Mary b 1814, william b 1816, He also thinks that John's mother is charlotte barratt.

coralie

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 19 Jun 2010 09:53

Marriages Sep 1865 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Curry Thomas St Thomas 5b 75
Pike John St Thomas 5b 75
Salter Jane St. Thomas 5b 75
Sedgemore Elizabeth Emma St.Thomas 5b 75

Flick

Flick Report 19 Jun 2010 10:01

If you purchase John's marriage cert, you will have factual info about his father.............

Coralie

Coralie Report 19 Jun 2010 10:01

Hi I am knew at this so can someone explain to me how come 4 people have the same numbers after them. That is correct Pike John and Sedgemore Elizabeth Emma but what are the other 2? sorry if I seem dumb but I guess it's the only way to learn by asking.

coralie

Flick

Flick Report 19 Jun 2010 10:07

Wife and son in 1871

Name: George Pike
Estimated birth year: abt 1870
Relation: Lodger
Where born: B Salterton, Devon, England
Civil parish: East Budleigh
Town: Budleigh Salterton
County/Island: Devon
Registration district: St Thomas
Sub-registration district: East Budleigh
ED, institution, or vessel: 2
Household schedule number: 126
Household Members: Name Age
William Gould 32
Jane Gould 35
Annie Gould 2
Elizabeth Pike 24 born Budleigh Salterton - said to be Married!
George Pike 11 months

Flick

Flick Report 19 Jun 2010 10:08

The GRO index has more than one couple per Page - the other names are the "other couple" in this instance.

Some GRO indices have eight names to a Page.............

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 19 Jun 2010 10:10

The other couple's marriage has been recorded on the same page of the register. The number of marriages recorded on the same page can vary - in this case there are just two.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 19 Jun 2010 10:14

If you are sure that is your John, I would buy that marriage certificate to check his father's name and his age. There is a quite a big age difference between John and Elizabeth.

EDIT

Just had a look on Ancestry at the 1861 census and there are lots of John Pikes born in Devon so you really do need that marriage certificate for his age and occupation and also his father's details - just to be sure that you find the correct John Pike.

Coralie

Coralie Report 19 Jun 2010 10:18

Flick that is the correct census John died 1/12/1870 with a inquest into his death and thank you for the info on the marriages. I found the 1871 census but couldn't find john living with any parents I was also told by william that he had a previous marriage but couldn't find that either. William's g mother was Jeannette pike b 1880 and william reckons her father is also on her birth certificate as john pike and mother elizabeth sedgemore. but I know that her father was definitely not my John pike

coralie

Coralie

Coralie Report 19 Jun 2010 10:20

even though elizabeths father mother is elizabeth sedgemore william also said that everything else adds up, the sibling and his children and also that george and his wife and children left for australia.

coralie

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 19 Jun 2010 10:21

Coralie, would like like to tell us how you got back to your John Pike please? Are you descended from one of his children please? Tell us what you have please. If you know that Elizabeth Sedgemore was not the mother of you John's child then can you tell us who was please?

Flick

Flick Report 19 Jun 2010 10:25

Please, Coralie, don't rely on unsubstantiated info from anyone...............start with yourself, and work back, step by step, checking everything by obtaining the necessary and relevant documentation.

'William' MAY be a diligent researcher, but as he seems unable to give you any proof of his "info", he more than likely isn't!

Coralie

Coralie Report 19 Jun 2010 10:28

sorry I think I got a bit mixed up
My grandmother is a pike her father was Henry pike the oldest child of george pike( who is John Pike's son) and elizabeth Doble. Henry told my grandmother that his grandparents were john pike and elizabeth sedgemore but didn't know who his great grandparents were.

coralie

Flick

Flick Report 19 Jun 2010 10:29

Right - tell us who your grandmother is - and where and when she was born

You HAVE to work backwards.......................

Coralie

Coralie Report 19 Jun 2010 10:31

I have verified up to John Pike and Elizabeth sedgemore but can't seem to go any further. I can tell you that John's middle name is james and that he was baptised 18/5/1812

coralie

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 19 Jun 2010 10:35

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages Sep 1890 (>99%)

BROMFIELD Eleanor St Thomas 5b 132
Doble Elizabeth Burgoin St. Thomas 5b 132 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<
ELLIOTT Walter St Thomas 5b 132
PIKE George Walter W St Thomas 5b 132 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Pike George Walter We St.Thomas 5b 132

Flick

Flick Report 19 Jun 2010 10:36

Please say how you have 'verified' to Elizabeth Sedgemore - do you have birth and marriage certs for every generation back to her?

Is her son George your direct ancestor?

Coralie

Coralie Report 19 Jun 2010 10:39

my grandmother Lenor pike is still aliveI have her birth certificate and she was born in chinchilla qld. australia 17/11/1922.
her father henry was born in exmouth devon 27/1/1891 I also have his death certificate, marriage cert. and census for 1891 and 1901
henry's father george born 1871 I have death reg for qld, ship he and his wife and children came to australia on "perthshire"in 1909, census 1891 and 1901
georges' father John I have his death certificate, baptism, marriage cert.
does that help any

coralie