Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Pomfrett

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Steven

Steven Report 6 Jan 2007 06:09

POMFRETT Hello i am interested in locating family members from the Pomfrett Family. this is my poppas side of the family his name is Stanley William Pomfrett Married to Eileen Eastwood have four children Stephen , Linda, Patrica and Peter All live in Adelaide South Australia but all bar Peter where born in England I am Linda's Daugher And iam trying to Find out more about my family and find out how far it goes back any help would be GREAT If this help Stanley was born in 1936 he has 7 siblings there names are Douglas 1931 William 1933 Fred 1938 Shirley 1942 Joan 1944 Silvia 1946 there parents were Lenard (Father)c1906 Mother was Anni Want 1908 Thanks Roseanne

Maypole

Maypole Report 11 Dec 2007 14:16

Hi, Roseanne.
Your great grandfather was probably Leonard George Pomfrett, born Romford, Essex, England in 1909 (not 06). There is one Pomfrett family in Hornchurch, Romford, on the 1901 census. William, 27, farm foreman, born in Dodelinghurst; Ada, wife, 27, born Sheffield, Yorkshire, (so both born about 1874). There are three sons, William A, 5; Ernest H, 3 and James A, 1. There is also Wm's brother, Harry, 18, single, and a carter on the farm. They live at Scotts Farm, household 22 on the census, in St Andrew's parish. The statistical register for Romford is Volume 4a. Leonard married Annie Want at Romford in Oct/Nov/Dec 1930. It is page 1137 of the register. His birth is on page 632.
I have Pomfrett/Pomphretts, but not these.
Incidentally, the name is a corruption of Pontefract ('Broken bridge' in latin).

Hope this is of interest and help.
Ps. If you come across anyone with a Mayoh in their name, please post it.
Cheers,
Joy.

Maypole

Maypole Report 11 Dec 2007 15:14

Hello again,
1891 census: William, aged 17 is living in a 4 roomed house in Crown St, Dagenham, h/hold no. 61. There are his father, James, 52, widower; his brothers Alfred, 12 (or 15), Walter, 10, scholar, and Harry, 8. The father and elder sons are all Agricultural labourers. Also living in is Eliza Clements, 40, widow, as Servant.
Dodelinghurst, above, is mistranscribed. It is also spelt as Dodinhurst, and Doddinghurst.

It is worth joining a site where you can search the records, but be aware of the spelling traps.

I hope this helps you make more connections.

Cheers,
Joy.