Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Prosser Family - Painter/Printer - Guildford

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tracey

Tracey Report 28 Dec 2007 20:40

Looking for info on Walter Ambrose Christmas Prosser b1874, London. His father Albert b1840c, Printer and his father George F C Prosser, Artist from London. Family lived and some born Upton Gray and Guildford. Many artists and travelled. But Walter was a Soldier who died at sea 1911, travelling from India. Said to be East Lancs Regt but info from Museum was sent as William Prosser. Can you shed some light on this in any way.

Cheers Tracey.

`*♥Jan♥`*

`*♥Jan♥`* Report 28 Dec 2007 22:15

England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index: 1837-1983
about Walter Ambrose C Prosser
Name: Walter Ambrose C Prosser
Year of Registration: 1874
Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
District: St Saviour Southwark
County: London, Surrey
Volume: 1d
Page: 117 (click to see others on page)

i think this might be his father?

You have saved this record to My Ancestry (Shoebox).
You have saved this record to My Ancestry (People I'm Looking For).
This record has been added to your shoebox.
1891 England Census
about Albert Prosser
Name: Albert Prosser
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1841
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Marianne
Where born: Guildford, Surrey, England

Civil Parish: Camberwell
Ecclesiastical parish: St Giles
County/Island: London

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View Image

Registration district: Camberwell
Sub-registration district: Camberwell
ED, institution, or vessel: 10b
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Albert Prosser 50
Annie Prosser 27
Dorothy Prosser 8/12
Frances Prosser 8
George Prosser 24
Marianne Prosser 49

View
Original
Record

View original image
View

Tracey

Tracey Report 28 Dec 2007 22:30

Many Thanks,

Looking mainly for his death record which I believe to be on HMS Rewa, hospital ship.

And his military record really, know Walter married in Stockbury, Kent 1901 but was based in Portsmouth, St Mark's which I'm unable to find. But he only seems to appear on the 1881 cenus than disappears bar marriage. Wife Grace Thomas.

Thanks again.

Tracey

Tracey Report 31 Dec 2007 04:05

Many thanks for your efforts,

Can you tell me, can I access register for deaths at sea because I can't find it.

Plus where would his death cert be? I don't know it he was buried in the UK, at sea or in India?

Will the Military have it, because I can't confirm Military number or Regiment?

But thanks again.

Tracey

Tracey

Tracey Report 31 Dec 2007 12:18

Lost for Words,

Thanks for your hard work, maybe you can help a little more on Walter's life while he was overseas for me.

Walter's first wife Grace Thomas b 1875 from Bredgar Kent, died in India. Leaving him with 3 daughters Beatrice, Eva and Ivy born 1902,1903 and 1904.

Walter then married a Irish midwife, Jane Hefernen b 1878 in India, date unknown. They then had 2 daughters Bridget 1908 and Miriam 1910.

Jane nursed Walter overseas but not sure where or when.

After Walter's death, Jane and girls travelled aboard HMS Dongola back to County Cork? Maybe UK.

The first 3 daughters were then put in an orphanage and believed to be left there!

This is hearsay and I've been unable to confirm this but keeps popping up, so must be some truth.

Any info and your time greatly appreiciated.

Regards Tracey