Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Purchase

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Crystal

Crystal Report 5 Jun 2007 16:21

'There are not many around by the name of Purchase but they are all related......' Well, they were the words of my late grandmother. Oddly enough, when I came to research the name it wasn't quite as easy as sifting through a few names. According to my grandmother, her great-grandparents were Edward George Purchase, Mariner and Harriet. They apparently had a child, also called Edward George Purchase, in c1829 at Stepney, MDX and they are supposed to have drowned at sea in the North Atlantic. It all sounded a bit fishy so I did some more search. I found Edward George (known as George), living with an Aunt and Uncle, Ann and John Yates, in Stepney on the 1841 census. After much census searching and comparing of names it would seem that the mother was Harriet Littell, however, when I found her death certificate she was allegedly the widow of William Littell, Surgeon. So, she may or may not have been married to the mariner and she seemed to move from the Yate household to others, finally living with her son and his family in 1871. She died not long after that.

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 24 Aug 2007 15:51

Hi. I am descended from the Purchase line, from aJohn Purchase c.1770 Alton, Basingstoke, married to Sarah Windybank c.1775. Most of my information has been gleaned from the internet contacts on here, but havent been able to get any further back. I was wondering if you may have these names in your tree also. They all seemed to be connected to farming and beer making.

Would be interested to hear from you.

Regards, Sylvia

Sharon

Sharon Report 25 Oct 2007 19:45

not sure if any of the information below is helpful, but here it is any how...
My great grandmother was apparently Eliza Purchase, born 1872 in the east end of London (?). She married my great grandfather John (Jack) Barrett in 1898 in Bethnal Green. Eliza's parents were apparently George Purchase who was married to Eliza Holland in March 1869 (she was born in either London or Middx). The marriage is listed as "Wandsworth 1d 617"George Purchase died in the 4th quarter of 1899. Prior to that he had lived at 27 Acorn Street, Bishopsgate, london City, Middx - occupation "Brass founder". Please let me know if there are links!..
kind regards Sharon Gulliver