Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Queensland Deaths - Hartnell

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kaye

Kaye Report 24 Jul 2008 01:48

Hello,

Appreciate if anyone can help with electoral rolls and/or deaths.

I'm looking for the deaths of Walter Hartnell and Leonard Hartnell (brothers) who, I'm told died in Queensland Australia. They may have lived together, they were farmers in their younger years. Apparently these two brothers left NZ to have a better live in Queensland and never married.

I'm told one of them possibly died in 1963ish and the other in the late 1970's-1980's. Sorry don't know which one died when.

Appreciate any help or advice you may be able to give.
Regards
Kaye

Valerie

Valerie Report 24 Jul 2008 02:54

Hi Kaye, Couldn't see their deaths in QLD (on 'Brisbane Council Cemeteries' site) ..or in NSW. ('Ryerson Index' site). ....The National Aus Archives (on-line) shows a James Walter Hartnell b 1909 ., AND a George William Hartnell b1914 enlisted in QLD 1939-48 both showing their next of kin as Walter Hartnell. (this may be a false lead)....... The QLD State Library has an 'Ask Us' service (query form on-line) they will check electoral rolls from when you think they arrived. .....Valerie

Kaye

Kaye Report 24 Jul 2008 03:04

Hi Valerie,

Thank you. The chaps father was Walter, so you could have indeed found something. My mother did think there names were Walter and Leonard. I have found searching the Nat Aus Archives really difficult also with the Archway Archives NZ... other folk seem to come up with searches I don't, its frustrating.

The information on James Walter Hartnell and George William Hartnell you have found, is there any more info apart from what you have kindly provided above?

I will ask the Qld State Library service, thank you.

Best regards Kaye

Valerie

Valerie Report 24 Jul 2008 03:42

Hi Kaye, No - that's all I found - I put in 'Hartnell' (on Nat Aus Archives) and that info came up. ..... The National Library of NZ (in Auckland) also offers an 'Ask a Librarian' service -they may be able to trace them from electoral rolls & see when they left for Aus. ...Valerie

Kaye

Kaye Report 24 Jul 2008 04:15

Hi Valerie,
Thank you, appreciate your time and effort in helping me. Will follow up with the libraries.

Regards Kaye

Julcoe

Julcoe Report 24 Jul 2008 04:54

Some men fought in both wars so thought that I would check and found this..

Service Record
Name .. HARTNELL, JAMES WALTER
Service Australian .. Army
Service Number .. Q228949
Date of Birth .. 1 Aug 1909
Place of Birth .. AMBERLEY, NEW ZEALAND
Date of Enlistment .. 21 Jun 1942
Locality on Enlistment .. MUNGALLALA, QLD
Place of Enlistment .. MUNGALLALA, QLD
Next of Kin .. HARTNELL, WALTER
Date of Discharge .. 21 Oct 1945
Rank .. Private
Posting at Discharge .. 19 BN V D C ROMA

No other had a birth place of N.Z.

Julcoe

Julcoe Report 24 Jul 2008 05:19

You haven't given a date of birth, if they had middles names or when they went to Australia, so I do not know if this man fit with your Leonard...

Australian Electoral Rolls, 1901-1936 about Leonard Thomas Hartnell
Name: Leonard Thomas Hartnell
Electoral Year: 1919 <<<1925<<<1930<<<1936
State: Queensland
District: Maranoa
Subdistrict: Mitchell
ADDRESS: Leinster Station, Mungallala
.... only Hartnell on list in 1919
....with Olive, Home Duties in 1925, 1930 & 1936
also on list in 1936, James Walter @ Preston,Mungallala; Grazier

YEAR/Reg.No. .. 1918/C2176
BRIDE .. Treasure Olive
GROOM ..Hartnell Leonard Thomas

Just noticed that you said that neither of the men married so if you are 100% sure of that, then this could not be your Leonard.
However he is the only leonard in QLD, of voting age, during this time.
If you are not 100% sure that he did not marry, the buying the marriage certificate should give you his fathers name.

Julcoe

Julcoe Report 24 Jul 2008 05:44

This was the only Walter that i could find, but he is also married...

Australian Electoral Rolls, 1901-1936 about Walter Hartnell
Name: Walter Hartnell
Electoral Year: 1913 <<<1919
State: Queensland
District: Maranoa
Subdistrict: Dalby
OCCUPATION.. Grazier
ADDRESS : Thorndale Estate, Warra
with Lucy Tristram (nee Morrish), Home duties

in 1930 there are at Patrick Street
in 1936 at Yathong, Loudon, Dalby; with George William, Station Hand. (b. 1914, QLD)

could not find their marriage in QLD

Kaye

Kaye Report 24 Jul 2008 05:59

Hi Julie,

A very big thank you. I will put all of this info back to my mother to see if anything rings a bell.

Truly appreciate your efforts in finding this info. I have not been able to find their deaths in Qld as yet, its fun searching. Again many thanks to you and Valerie

Meaghan

Meaghan Report 2 Aug 2017 13:24

Hi Kaye,

I've stumbled across your post from 2008 by chance. I'm not sure if you're still looking for information. I am the Great Granddaughter of Walter Hartnell. Walter married Lucy Tristram Hartnell (nee Morrish). From NZ, Walter and Lucy moved to Australia with Leonard Hartnell. Leonard bought a property at Mungalalla, Qld, called 'Leinster', while Walter and Lucy bought a property at Warra, Qld, but were only there for a short time before selling and buying 'Yathong', at Nandi, outside Dalby, Qld, where they lived for many years. Lucy (I'm not sure about Walter) made many trips back to England to visit family during this time. Walter and Lucy had three children: James (Jim) Walter Hartnell, George William Hartnell and Hilma Mary Edith Hartnell. My father is a son of Hilma. I do not know the family history well but if you would like to know more please let me know and I'll put you in touch with my father who has far more knowledge and detail and is happy to answer any question you may still have,

Meaghan

greyghost

greyghost Report 2 Aug 2017 13:34

Welcome to the boards Meaghan.

You've noticed that Kaye originally posted some time ago. She's probably not looking for answers now.

You can try clicking on her name to send a Personal message via the GR system - they'll let her know there's a message waiting for her if she still has the same email address that they have on file.

You then have to hope she sees the message and is able to reply - not guaranteed for several reasons.

Meaghan

Meaghan Report 2 Aug 2017 14:05

Thank you. I also sent her a personal message.