Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Rees

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anne

Anne Report 31 May 2007 00:06

My Rees family begins when my G-Grandfather John Rees (born 1858) marries my G-Grandmother Margaret Williams/nee Thomas from Pontardawe around 1894 and lived in Maerdy. They moved around also living in Caerphilly and moving back to Maerdy. Before marrying him Margaret ran a shop with her first husband and maybe lived in Cwmdare. John and Margaret are both buried together in Maerdy Cemetery along with one of their sons, wife Matilda and daughter Margaret. Don't know where first husband Mr ...Williams is bured but do know of lots of descendents of theirs.

John Rees in 1901 is listed as born in Crwbyn, Carmarthen. Could also be Llanganock on another census. Interestingly have a postcard showing the village of Crwbyn written to my Grandmother from an Uncle William in 1930/40's . He also writes of Thomas (Rees) visiting my Grandmother Annie (Rees/Thomas/Williams) saying he is glad he is with you, which may be an indication of John's first son visiting from America. Did he have a sister? or is Lisa John's sister? My mother remembers visiting an Aunt Lisa in Crwbyn several times between 1940-1950 and also remembering someone keeping ferrets. Is this Elizabeth James? Very interested in any information however small.

Story goes John was a coal miner and was in the Welsh Guards, not sure about that!