Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Rooney

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Frances

Frances Report 15 Jun 2006 17:23

IRISH AND SCOTTISH ROONEY LINES My family tree goes back to Peter Rooney c1820 who married Catherine Burns in 'March Rockcorry, Monaghan, Ireland'.. They had a child Bernard in Ireland in 1842, before moving to Lanarkshire in Scotland where they had the rest of their children between 1844 and 1866. Unfortuantely, Peter's death certificate lists his parents as 'unknown' so I can't go back further without looking up Irish records, which is incredibly hard to do! I also know of a Patrick Rooney who married Ann Burns. Patrick's parents are James Rooney and Jane McBenus. I believe he is probably Peter's brother since both couples were married at about the same time, in the same place and then moved to Blantyre, Lanarkshire. Having said that, Catherine and Ann are not sisters as they have different parents. Confusingly, I also have a Rooney line on my mother's side. It goes back to Bernard Rooney (a barber) and Ann Thomson who had a son, Hugh Rooney in 1843 in Armagh, Ireland. Hugh married Mary Ann O'Neill in Lurgan, Armagh, in 1859. Does anyone know anything of these names?

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 6 Jan 2008 02:54

I think I came across some of your family names whilst searching for my own. I have Hugh Rooney marrying Mary Ann O'Neill, they had a son Bernard Rooney who was likely born around 1867 and died in 1914 in Bellshill (county of Lanark). Bernard was married twice, firstly to an Ann McDonald where they had a daughter Mary Rooney born 1914 who later married a John Tomlie. His second wife was Ann Hope probably born around 1852 who died in 1945 aged 93. She was previously married to a John McDonald. Bernard also had a brother James but I'm not sure of his date of birth. You probably already have this.