Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sarah Rowley belfast

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hilary

Hilary Report 21 Apr 2011 09:15

hi, I am trying to find the parents of my great grandmother, Sarah Rowley (1876-1933. ). she married a William Benson in st anne's ,Shankill in Belfast on 24/12/1898.her father's name was David, a breadserver on her marriage certificate, but that is all I have .I don't know if she was born in ireland or England (lots of Rowley's there ).any help or suggestions gratefully received.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 21 Apr 2011 09:20

1911 - for ref.

Residents of a house 21 in Central Street (Victoria (part of), Down)
Show all informationSurname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses Years Married Children Born Children Living
Benson William 33 Male Head of Family Methodist C Scotland General Labourer Read and write - Married - - - -
Benson Sarah 33 Female Wife Methodist Church Co Down - Read - Married - 12 5 5
Benson Elizabeth 10 Female Daughter Methodist Church Co Down Scholar Read and write - Single - - - -
Benson John 8 Male Son Methodist Church Co Down Scholar Read - Single - - - -
Benson Ellen 6 Female Daughter Methodist Church Co Down Scholar Cannot read or write - Single - - - -
Benson William 6 Male Son Methodist Church Co Down - Cannot read or write - Single - - - -
Benson Robert 1 Male Son Methodist Church Co Down - Cannot read or write - Single - - - -
McFall Jane 58 Female Relative Church of Ireland Co Down - Read and write - Widower - - 2 1

Hilary

Hilary Report 21 Apr 2011 09:38

Hi again, yes these are my relative's however I am looking for Sarah's birthplace and her parents. thank you for your time and help The above William age 6 was my maternal grandfather who died in 1976.I have no idea who Jane Mc Fall was.

Joy

Joy Report 21 Apr 2011 11:02

If you look at the site for Irish 1911 census (free), you will see her place of birth :-)

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Victoria__part_of_/Central_Street/224343/
Birthplace Co Down

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 21 Apr 2011 11:31

Hilary, Sarah gives her birthplace as Co. Down on the census.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 21 Apr 2011 11:38

I am not seeing a birth for her. Do you have her marriage certificate?

Name: Sarah Rowley
Registration District: Belfast
Event Type: MARRIAGES
Registration Quarter and Year: Oct - Dec 1898
Estimated Birth Year:
Age (at Death):
Mother's Maiden Name:
Film Number: 101259
Volume Number: 1
Page Number: 322
Digital Folder Number: 4195895
Image Number: 00142

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 21 Apr 2011 11:47

I don't see them on the 1901 census to check her place of birth on that.

Maura

Maura Report 21 Apr 2011 11:52

The Jane McFall could be Sarah mother, she a widow in 1911, she had 2 children and 1 still living

Residents of a house 8.2 in Linwood Street (Clifton, Antrim)1901
Show all information
Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses
Rowley Mary 20 Female Daughter Presbyterian Belfast City Yarn Spinster in Mill Read and write - Not Married -
Mc Fall Jane 46 Female Head of Family Presbyterian Holywood, Co Down Yarn Spinner in Mill Read and write

Hilary

Hilary Report 21 Apr 2011 12:19

just back in,sorry thanks for your input.you're correct Jane possibly may be Sarah's mother if she had remarried, i will try to track this down. sarah and William were married in shankill, St Annes church of ireland and the benson's were Methodists, not usually associated wit Presbyterians

Maura

Maura Report 21 Apr 2011 12:41

There a marriage for a Jane Rowlands to a Edward McFall 26th May 1889 St Anne's Belfast her father a John.

Hilary

Hilary Report 21 Apr 2011 12:44

Maura where die you see this,

Maura

Maura Report 21 Apr 2011 12:49

emeraldancestors but very limted in its information, this marriage is also on www.ancestryireland.com pay to view site, but you should get more information.