Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family History (Great Grandfather)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Glenda

Glenda Report 5 Jan 2008 15:04

I am trying to trace my Great Grandfather's family. I have sent out messages previously and have gone down avenues suggested, but have come unstuck. Can anyone out there help. My Grandmother was born Daisy Rowley and her father was known as Albert Rowley. Through information recieved to date I have managed to gain the following information. Albert was born in Oadby / Wigston Magna, Leicester and after visiting the records office in I was able to find out that his mother was Catherine Rowley born around 1848 and her mother and father were known as Joseph and Sarah. My Great Grandfather was born in 1867, according to his birth cert., but by 1871 he was living in the workhouse and no trace of his mother. Can anyone or does anyone know how I can find out why, the addmission records for this period don't seem to be available at the records office. I hope someone can help, desparate to find out more about him as my own Grandmother talked about him quite a bit, although both her parents Albert and Clara died when she was between 7/8 years old. Many thanks

boas

boas Report 5 Jan 2008 15:28

Hi Glenda

I have a Albert Rowley in the 1881 census age 13yrs as an inmate in the Leicester Union Workhouse Sparkenhoe Rd.

Might be also Albert Rowley in 1901 c = Elizabeth .?

Albert Rowley died June 1916 Blaby Leicestershire.?

Margaret

Margaret Report 5 Jan 2008 15:34

Hi Glenda

perhaps his parents died - have you looked for their deaths?

MArgaret

Margaret

Margaret Report 5 Jan 2008 15:36

hi re read your info

instead of mother dying perhaps she married & new husband would not take on son!!

Loads of conjecture!

Margaret

David

David Report 5 Jan 2008 16:00

The 1871 extract does say description Orphan, so I guess you are looking for Catherines death 1867 - 1871.

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 6 Jan 2008 11:15

Hi Glenda,

Found this for you

Catherine Rowley b 05 March 1848 Wigston Magna, Leicester, parents Joseph and Sarah.

Off to look for death/marriage.

Assuming Albert was illegitimate?

Vanessa

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 6 Jan 2008 11:24

Glenda,

Catherines sister:-

Elizabeth Rowley b 06 Jan 1850, Wigston

Joseph and Sarah married in 1847. joseph b 1822, sarah b 1826 both in Wigston. Cant find death or marriage for Catherine. Will keep looking

Vanessa

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 6 Jan 2008 11:43

1891 census
Albert Romley( Rowley on image) 1867 Blaby
Soldier infantry at Warley Barracks Essex.