Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Schorah

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 25 Mar 2004 12:53

This is probably a long shot. My Great Grandmothers maiden name was Schorah - she lived in Liverpool in the late 19th century and early part of the 20th century. I know that the Schorah family had interests in the shipping industry - and am aware that she had a cousin called Josiah or "Jos" who ran the shipping agency. I think they had the baggage handling and ticket agency for Cunard and White Star line. Prior to my Great Grandmother I think that the family had interests in fishing trawlers in Lancashire - and that the family was well to do. Originally the Schorah family came across from Yorkshire and long ago from Germany. Any information that you have that will fill my substantial knowledge gaps would be appreciated. Many thanks. Best regards. Malcolm Pope

Hazel Mary

Hazel Mary Report 8 Jan 2008 19:58

My Schorah family are descended from Thomas, a tailor who married in Hemsworth, Yorkshire, but I do not know where he was from. Joseph had moved to Clayton le Dale when he was a farmer, and married his second wife, my great grandmother Sarah Alice Grime. They then made their way to Preston. My dad and his brothers had heard the story that the Schorah family originated from Germany but no one has any more information about this fact. We would all be interested to learn about the Germany connection. Needless to say my side of the Schorah family all had large families so there was no money left when great grandma married 59 year old farmer Joseph Schorah living in Clayton le Dale.
Good luck with your research.