Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My grandfather

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susanne

Susanne Report 26 Dec 2007 21:57

I am not long started on the family history work and am having trouble indentifying my grandfather. My Mother's father died when she was about 18 and she did not know a great deal about his background. All we currently know is his name was Henry Joseph Scott, borm sometime near or before 1890 in a village (?) near Newcastle. HIs birthday was the 6th October. He was injured in the trenches during the first world war and according to family stories was sent to the Woolwich Arsenal to recouperate. He met my grandmother, Emma (originally from Devon), who was in service in that area of London and that is where they settled in the Petts wood, Sidcup area of London. My uncle Harry (who was also a Henry) was born around 1919 and my mother Barbara was born in 1925 - they only had the two children. My grandfather then committed suicide in approximately 1943 a year or two after his wifes death. Can anyone help me in tracing his family background??

jansmith

jansmith Report 26 Dec 2007 22:14

possible birth index
Name: Henry Joseph Scott
Year of Registration: 1888
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
District: Bootle Cul
County: Cumberland
Volume: 10b
Page: 640

jansmith

jansmith Report 26 Dec 2007 22:45

COULD THIS BE HIS DEATH INDEX?
Henry J Scott
age 54
district Bromley
vol.2a
page 1241
Dec. quarter 1943

Thomas

Thomas Report 30 Dec 2007 16:24

Possible family in 1901 census - but no proof.

Search Results - Northumberland 1901 Census Transcript
1 Beanley Avenue, Newburn Hall
Surname Forename Age Relationship Occupation Birth Place
Scott James T 62 Head Chargeman Iron Foundry Wooler, Northumberland
Scott Mary A 56 Wife - Walbottle, Northumberland
Scott John J C 27 Son Locomotive Fireman Railway Millom, Cumberland
Scott Charles J L 23 Boarder Mechanical Engineer British Subject, United States Of America
Scott Elizabeth M M 20 Daughter - Millom, Cumberland
Scott Henry J 12 Son - Millom, Cumberland

Samspade

Samspade Report 30 Dec 2007 18:06

Do you have your grandmothers maiden name?finding their marriage cert will give you both of their father's names and a rough year of birth.Also does your mum have a middle name?this can help when tracing backwards.