Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Battle of Waterloo

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elaine

Elaine Report 1 Sep 2010 22:40

Trying to find my great Grandfather x 3 John Seaman who fought at the battle of waterloo his son John Seaman was born in 1815 France & married Charlotte Faulkner lived in the Dunchurch Warwickshire area , any info please contact me , Thank you , Regards Elaine

KarenInScotland

KarenInScotland Report 1 Sep 2010 22:45

Here they are on 1851

ame: John Seaman
Estimated birth year: abt 1816
Relation: Head
Spouse's name: Charlotte Seaman
Where born: France

Civil parish: Church Lawford
County/Island: Warwickshire

Street Address:

Condition as to marriage:

Disability: View image

Registration district: Rugby
Sub-registration district: Rugby
ED, institution, or vessel: 6
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 3
Household Members: Name Age
John Seaman 35
Charlotte Seaman 32
Eliza Leeson 6

John is an Agricultural labourer
Eliza is a Visitor

Katie

Katie Report 1 Sep 2010 22:45

The records of one born 1774 in Dibden Southampton are on FMP. He was in the Royal East London Militia 1803-1819 and so could have been at Waterloo. Is this your man?
Katie

KarenInScotland

KarenInScotland Report 1 Sep 2010 22:48

and 1861

Name: John Seaman
Estimated birth year: abt 1815
Relation: Head
Spouse's name: Charlotte Seaman
Where born: Fra British Subject

Civil parish: Foleshill
Ecclesiastical parish: St Lawrence
County/Island: Warwickshire

Street Address:

Condition as to marriage: View image

Registration district: Foleshill
Sub-registration district: Foleshill
ED, institution, or vessel: 9
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 43
Household Members: Name Age
John Seaman 46
Charlotte Seaman 44
Hannah M Seaman 3
Elizabeth A Seaman 2

John is a carter

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 1 Sep 2010 22:49

This is on Ancestry:

UK, Waterloo Medal Roll, 1815
about Jns Seaman
Name: Jns Seaman
Regiment: 3rd Battalion 14th Regiment of Foot
Sub Unit: Captain William Bett's Company
Fate: Discharged

Rpse

KarenInScotland

KarenInScotland Report 1 Sep 2010 23:16

Or !

From the archive

Share 0 comments 25 Aug 2000

An American businessman has been given permission to dig up part of a public park in a search for treasure he claims he buried in a past life. Mr Jim Bethany believes he was a Welshman called John Seaman, who died at the battle of Waterloo. The wealthy 58-year-old, who underwent regression hypnotherapy, says that before he was killed, he buried silver coins and jewellery in land now occupied by Swansea's Singleton Park. Swansea Council has now given Mr Bethany, who runs an antiques business in New York, permission to dig up a small area of the park. But the council refuses to disclose where in the park the dig will take place for fear it will attract treasure hunters. Mr Malcolm Ridge, chairman of the Gower Society local history group, said: ''Mr Bethany says he found treasure while fighting in India. He bought it back to Gower and buried it, with the aim of retrieving it later, but got shot.''

Elaine

Elaine Report 2 Sep 2010 09:52

I also found this article , I have a friend who lives in New York , she tried to trace the businessman & I sent a e-mail to the newspaper , she couldn't find him & the newspaper never did get back to me , so I'll never know if anything was found , darn I couldve been retiring early lol

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 2 Sep 2010 09:58

JOHN SEAMAN Pedigree
Male Family

Marriages:
Spouse: CHARLOTTE FAULKNER Family
Marriage: 21 JUL 1836 Church Lawford, Warwick, England

Extracted marriage record for locality listed in the record.

Elaine

Elaine Report 2 Sep 2010 10:01

Thanx Karen Ive got this but I had overlooked the visitor which I think I'll check , the trouble is John's wife Charlotte & Hannah go missing after the 1861 census can't find them anywhere then John Seaman turns up in Weedon married to Jane Warwick nee Duffett I have the marriage certificate for 1865 he marries as John Seaman says he's a widow & the 1871 census his name as changed from Seaman to Seymour ??? can't find the deaths of Charlotte Seaman nee Faulkner or Hannah ? Elizabeth is with John & Jane now Seymour as there daughter along with my great Grandfather x3 John Robert , I thought maybe bigamy as I hadn't found any death records ?

Elaine

Elaine Report 2 Sep 2010 10:06

can't believe you got this so quick Mel , it took me about 6 months to find , unbelivable , I don't suppose youve got anything on his father John Seaman senior I had a search done & found him at the battle of waterloo as Karen as kindly found but no mention of where he was from & where he went to , I do know he was dead by the time John Seaman junior married for the second time in 1865.
thank you very much El

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 2 Sep 2010 10:17

Interesting on the 1871 census their address is Toy Shop and C I suppose meaning Cottage??

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 2 Sep 2010 10:19

ANNA MARIA SEAMAN Pedigree
Female

Birth:
Christening: 29 NOV 1857 Dunchurch, Warwick, England

Parents:
Father: JOHN SEAMAN Family
Mother: CHARLOTTE

Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record.

ELIZABETH ANN SEAMAN Pedigree
Female

Christening: 02 JUN 1859 Dunchurch, Warwick, England

Parents:
Father: JOHN SEAMAN Family
Mother: CHARLOTTE

Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record.

Elaine

Elaine Report 2 Sep 2010 10:23

Thanx very much Karen in Scotland , Mel & Katie & anyone Ive missed , you really are good at this oh Karen have you access to Scottish marriage records around 1820-1830 I'm looking for my other Great Grandad John Fury married Mary Durkin/Durcan from Ireland they had some connection to Scotland .
kindest Regards & thanx again Elaine

Elaine

Elaine Report 2 Sep 2010 10:27

still can't believe it , this info (not all) took me years to find & you all have it in one night , wonder if I'd be better at knitting lol

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 2 Sep 2010 10:34

I love your sense of humour Elaine!! Where are you?

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 2 Sep 2010 10:36

I beleive years ago if your wife went missing for 7 years you could marry again as in poorer families there was no divorce.

Elaine

Elaine Report 2 Sep 2010 10:40

sat at my computer lol Nottinghamshire , where are you ? just been onto Gower society now on a treasure hunt , strange I was concidering getting a metal detector lol

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 2 Sep 2010 10:42

Oh you do make me laugh....................

I am sitting at my pooter in Devon.

Elaine

Elaine Report 2 Sep 2010 10:45

I don't know Warwickshire very well but can you go missing in that area , Charlotte was from Newham Northamptonshire I did get lost there once lol really strange they had a daughter born about 1837 called Kezia who was raised by her grandmother Elizabeth in Northants .

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 2 Sep 2010 10:45

There are a couple of trees on Ancestry with the son John Seaman on them but they don't have his father down. One is locked up so you can't see that one.