Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Sellers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janet

Janet Report 16 Jun 2007 20:25

Hi, My family were the Sellers family from Southwark (Andrew Sellers and Maria Carroll, and their children); Maria's family were hawkers and market traders from Southwark, and Andrew was from east London - Mile End - moving to Southwark between 1908 and 1919. In the East End, the family surname was Sellers, Sellars, and quite possibly switching between Williams and Sellers. Can anyone help with this? I'm trying to find the connection between (a) Frederick Seabrook Sellers, b. 1806 to John Sellers, waterman, and Elizabeth; in Westminster, London; and (b) Frederick Seabrook Williams, and I think this may be the same person. Frederick Sellers became a paper-hanger and decorator but appears to have changed surname to Williams, and had a period as a comedian (1851 census) inbetween being a decorator. Wife (or partner) was Rebecca, nee Underhill. The family lived in London - Westminster till the 1850s, then moved to the Mile End/Shoreditch area (Edward Street, which became Duckett Street). The middle name Seabrook continued with his son, Walter Sellers Williams, later known (I think) as Walter Lacey Sellers, who named his own son Walter Seabrook Sellers. Another son, John, is my great-grandfather, born possibly as John Williams c. 1851 (have found baptism record but no birth cert), married in the name of John Sellers to Sarah Wiltshire 1874. If anyone can shed any light on this I'd be very grateful - Jan