Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sidney Shepherd living in Bromley

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Neil

Neil Report 31 Dec 2010 15:50

Trying to find Sidney Shepherd who lived at 8, Farnaby Road, Bromley, we think he was born around 1910ish but not to sure, any help on this matter would be great,

Many Thanks

Neil

Neil Report 31 Dec 2010 16:03

Sorry, we think he lived at that address about 1942 ? we dont know who his parents were and not sure if he married... Im posting this for a friend as they would like some info as they have hit a brick wall...

Many Thanks

Neil

Neil Report 31 Dec 2010 16:43

Yes his son has the same name, Sidney Shepherd, born 1942 in Bromley and we know he was at that address with his mother Dorothy Louise Ball and his father Sidney Shepherd, but they didnt marry and my friend is trying to find some info on his father as he never knew him.

Cheers

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 31 Dec 2010 17:33

Do you have Sidney born 1942 birth certificate?

Try
http://www.bromley.gov.uk/libraries/librariesintheborough/local_studies_library.htm

This is Bromley library and they have a local studies section.

Neil

Neil Report 31 Dec 2010 17:56

Thanks for this I will try that.. Its so frustrating that we can even get a clue on this...

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 1 Jan 2011 14:15

I feel for your friend but during wartime people moved about the country so he could have been born anywhere.
You may need some more clues.
How long did the relatioship last?
How accurate is the 1910 guess?
If he was fairly local there are some I would check out first but it will be a slow elimination process. You will also need to take into account spelling variations for Sydney and Shepherd.

Births Dec 1905 (>99%)
Shepherd Sydney William Shoreditch 1c 50

Births Mar 1908 (>99%)
Shepherd Sydney James Croydon 2a 371

Births Sep 1910 (99%)
SHEPHERD Sydney E P Camberwell 1d 886

Births Mar 1914 (>99%)
Shepherd Sydney W Bridger Horsham 2b 480

Births Jun 1920 (>99%)
SHEPHERD Sydney R Heywood Woolwich 1d 2690

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 1 Jan 2011 14:22

If you look at the dark green bar at the top of this page you will see a button that says search trees.
Click on it and you will see a search box.
Enter Sydney Shepherd and 1908 plus or minus 3 and these results come up. Anerley is very close to Bromley so a good possibility.
Click on the tree owners names to send them a message.

Sydney 1908 Anerley, Kent No Judith Find out more
Sydney 1908 Anerley,Kent No Carole Find out more
Sydney 1907 London No Richard Find out more
Sydney 1907 London No Sophie

Janice

Janice Report 1 Jan 2011 14:23

Did Sidney the son get married? His father's full name should be on his marriage cert.

Farnaby Road is in the Shortlands area of Bromley, which should help with electoral roll searching.

Neil

Neil Report 1 Jan 2011 21:27

Thanks for this, we will look at this, sorry for the late reply...all due to New Year and family,

Thanks everyone for your help and Happy New Year..

jax

jax Report 1 Jan 2011 22:11

Did you delete your other thread on this? well it looks like you have!! looking for some younger siblings I seem to remember

Neil

Neil Report 1 Jan 2011 22:18

Yes that`s right, he has been looking for years, he was born shepherd but always thought his surname was miles until a few years ago, this is when he found out his birth name was shepherd, so this is why he is trying to find out who his father is, his mother`s married name is Dorothy Louise Miles, maiden name Ball, lived in the Bromley area then London, and this is where she died, there is not much info on the birth cert, all that we know is that he had the same name as his father and they lived at 8, Farnaby Road, Bromley. We do believe she had 2 more children but no nothing on these, but would also like to know who they are,

Sorry for the lack of info but we live and hope,

Thanks Again

Neil.....

jax

jax Report 1 Jan 2011 22:19

You have not said why you have deleted after I spent ages on it? So now the Brighton connection has gone, How do you expect anyone to find these people if you dont know where they lived?

Edit - The story I got the other night was Sidneys mother married a chap called Miles and had a couple of children then she had Sidney with this man Shepherd but did'nt marry him.

Sometime later Sidney met his mother in a police station in Brighton with 2 children that she claimed as being hers.....

Neil

Neil Report 1 Jan 2011 22:48

Yes I am, but it didnt look like we was going to get anything if you read the other posts, so we had a change of plan and thought we would try and look for the father, the brighton connection is still their but we thought rather than try everything at once we would go for the Bromley/London side first, as for the places they lived you allready know they lived in Bromley and London area`s but the Bighton link is just that ,we know she was there, but thats all we know. I deleted the other thread because some on here told me to as I am new to this board and had posted somthing simular, thats why it went, Im not on here to wind people up, im on here for the same reasons as everyone else, but just abit green, so I am very sorry if ive upset you in any way, im greatful for all the help ive had.

jax

jax Report 1 Jan 2011 22:51

Yes you were meant to delete the simular one not the one with info on which would save other people looking for the same things that have already been found

Neil

Neil Report 1 Jan 2011 23:16

Ok, now I know I wont do it again, ive said sorry, maybe I should stop this search as I dont mean to cause problems as I said in my earlier post..

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 1 Jan 2011 23:22

So she married Alfred G Miles first?

The 2 children look to be Alfred Benjamin Miles (deceased) and a daughter.

Rose

jax

jax Report 1 Jan 2011 23:32

Rose I sent Neil those details it is a couple younger children born after 1942 with the same mother

jax

Neil

Neil Report 1 Jan 2011 23:33

Yes thats right, she had a Alfie and Sylvia, but we believe there is 2 more, the info ive just been given is that she gave them away as she did Sidney, is there a way we can check with social services, or wasn`t that availible at the time, as I said in a earlier post, the mother was born in London and died in London, but she spent time in Brighton and we think prison, I do have limited information but as and when I get something new I will let you know,
Many Thanks for your help........

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 1 Jan 2011 23:47

England & Wales, Marriage Index: 1916-2005
about Dorothy L Ball Name: Dorothy L Ball
Spouse Surname: Miles
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1932
Registration district: Camberwell
Registration county (inferred): Surrey
Volume Number: 1d
Page Number: 1146

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 1 Jan 2011 23:50

Ok Jax he is new and has apologised.

Any chance you could repost anything?

maybe

England & Wales, Birth Index: 1916-2005
about Dorothy L Ball Name: Dorothy L Ball
Mother's Maiden Surname: Hayes
Date of Registration: Jul Aug Sep 1916
Registration district: Bromley
Registration county: Surrey,Kent
Volume Number: 2a
Page Number: 968 (click to see others on page)