Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Zachariah

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Clare

Clare Report 13 Mar 2009 18:02

Trying to find any info on Zachariah Simmonds married Ann Wheeler and had son Charles Alfred c1817

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 13 Mar 2009 18:04

where did he live/born?

Heather

Heather Report 13 Mar 2009 18:27

Please read the Absolute Basics thread for basic research and posting info

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 13 Mar 2009 18:32

like hanging around for five minutes - that would help!!!!!

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 13 Mar 2009 18:38

There are 2 trees on ancestry with no dates or places for Zac only this

Charles Alfred Simmonds
Birth: 1817
Kent, England
Death: 3 Nov 1899
Beechworth, Victoria, Australia

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 13 Mar 2009 21:38

all the time!!! you can post advice till you;re blue in the face, no one reads it

I am now convinced that even if GR posted it, no one would read it

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 13 Mar 2009 22:05

The batteries are running low on my crystal ball today, you should see some of the useless PMs I've got too. ! Some of them are for lookups from months ago and NEVER have the name of the person and I'm blowed if I'm going to search for it again !

Clare

Clare Report 13 Mar 2009 23:07

From Clare
Sorry to have bothered everyone and I understand your frustration.I didn't expect the rapid replies.This is my first foray and I am willing to learn so take on board your suggestions and criticism.
I don't know where Zachariah was from as I can't find anything. I know Charles Alfred Simmonds married Rebecca Hurren in London c1837. In the 1851 census a Charles & Rebecca Simmonds are listed in Camberwell East Surrey UK and it lists their birthplaces as Tumbridge(sic) Wells and Bermondsey in that order. I have been told of a Charles Simmonds born to a James and Ann in Tonbridge Kent in 1817. Tunbridge Wells was in the parish of Tonbridge. In the 1851 census 2 children are listed with them Louisa (9) and Harry (5). They go to the Victorian (Australia) goldfields soon after and settle in Beechworth.I don't have any records for this movement. The Burial Record for them both in Nov 1899 lists Charles' parents as Zachariah (teacher) and Ann Wheeler and lists 12 children: Charles (dec), Rebecca (dec) Emily (dec) Alice (59yrs), Martha (dec), Phoebe? (dec), Henry (53) Thomas (48) Hannah (45) Robert (dec) Emma (40) and Bertha (35). I am looking for anything that confirms any of the information I have and hopefully helps me fill in some more details. I can't find any further census records that seem to match or any definitive birth records yet.

Clare

Clare Report 13 Mar 2009 23:23

Henry Isaac Simmonds (born `1846) is my G Grandfather and I guessed that he may have been listed as Harry on the census in 1851 but Louisa threw me. Rebecca Hurren was christened in Southwark Chapel Bermondsey in 1819 and her burial note says she married aged 17 and had been in Australia 45 yrs when she died giving an approx arrival as 1854. Charles' burial says married at 19 and in Australia 47 yrs giving an arrival date of 1852. I would like to find Zachariah and Ann to check that the Tonbridge link is true or not. And to find their other children and siblings. Thanks.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 13 Mar 2009 23:36

no need to apologise Clare - sometimes we're like greyhounds out of a trap!!!

I shall read your story and then have a lie down to think about it!!

Ann X

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 13 Mar 2009 23:48

whatever I do the only place Zac and ann show up on ancestry are 2 identical trees 14.000 strong from Australia with no sources dates or notes. I can only suggest you contact the owners and see where they got that information. They have both been active in the last week.

Clare

Clare Report 13 Mar 2009 23:58

How do I find the two who have a Zachariah - when I search all trees it comes back as 0.

Heather

Heather Report 13 Mar 2009 23:59

Whats Charles' occupation?

Who were the witnesses on the marriage cert?

Heather

Heather Report 14 Mar 2009 00:02

Clare, he is there on two trees, are you clicking on the family trees tab when you search?

Im just thinking with a name like Zac - you may want to consider non conformist records.

Clare

Clare Report 14 Mar 2009 00:02

In the 1851 census -if it is really him it says Hatter. Burial register says Gardener but at 82 and in Australia he certainly could have changed.
I was hoping that finding his father might help as the Simmonds who were hatters seemes to keep it in the family.

Clare

Clare Report 14 Mar 2009 00:03

I don't have a marriage certificate just the info that was given to me by someone doing the Hurren family.

Clare

Clare Report 14 Mar 2009 00:09

I have sent a request to Geoffrey who has a date of 1895 but he has not replied - as yet :)

Heather

Heather Report 14 Mar 2009 00:15

Re my thought about Zachariah being non conformist (the name is a clue) I just did a quick search on the Non parochial bmd (which arent complete) and came up with a number of children baptised in the rightish time span and in Kent with father Zachariah Simmons (no d)

Its pay to view, I dont know if its worth a punt or not. No Charles there though

http://www.bmdregisters.co.uk/bmdr/results.php?fn=Zachariah&sn=Simmonds&exact=no&event=All&all=1&all_set=1&st=s

What does your contact have a date of 1895 for?

Thats odd, going by age of eldest girl, Id have thought the marriage of Charles/Rebecca would come up on freebmd.org which covers from late 1837 but no show?

This looks like Louisa?

Births Jun 1842
SIMMONDS Louisa Newington 4 355

Heather

Heather Report 14 Mar 2009 00:32

Ah, found the marriage on Pallots? Is your contact sure this is the couple? It seems a long time til the first child if it is and why would they marry in East London when Rebecca is from Bermondsey and the kids are born there?

e: Rebecca Hurren
Spouse: Chas Simmonds
Marriage Date: 1837
PARISH: Stratford Le Bow St Mary

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 14 Mar 2009 02:12

Try Tunbridge Wells Family History Society