Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I am trying to find my smith line

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

James

James Report 22 Apr 2011 16:23

Hi there

I was wondering if anybody can help me I am trying to trace john smith born circa 1826 i know he was born in scotland and married a Mary and had 3 children but i dont know how to get further back

has anybody got any advice

Thanx in advance
james

patchem

patchem Report 22 Apr 2011 16:28

How many John Smiths do you think were born in Scotland in about 1826?
Where in Scotland?
Who were the children, their names, and where did they all live, and when did he marry Mary? If marriage, when (for her name) or children's birth for certificates with names on?

So, could you tell us how you have got back to John, and give us a little more information, such as a census?

Thank-you.

James

James Report 22 Apr 2011 16:31

he was born in glasgow, his 3 children were john, margaret and jane

i managed to get this far back by using the scottish cencus, but as my family seem very allusive it took alot of working out with certificates etc and none of them have middle names which makes it even more difficult

Dea

Dea Report 22 Apr 2011 16:46

Birth years of John, margaret and Jane ?

If you have certs, you must kow at least John's occupation?

Dea x

patchem

patchem Report 22 Apr 2011 18:24

Could you copy over the 1841 or 1851 census so we can see the family there?
It saves us having to guess everything.
Thanks.