Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Christine Willis

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 25 Jul 2007 22:40

Hi, im trying to find a birth entry of some sort for my great great grandfather George Stephenson born in Wymondham, Norfolk in 1821, i have copies of the birth certificates for his six children where his name on them ranged from Matthew Ayton Stephenson when his first son George was born in Battle, Sussex in 1851/52 with the mother being down as Susannah Ayton Stephenson (nee Symonds as far as i can make out), again as Matthew Ayton Stephenson on my great grandfathers certificate, Matthew Charles Ayton Stephenson born in 1857 in cardiff, Wales, then to just Matthew Stephenson on Mary Jane Stephenson's certificate born in 1858 in Cardiff, Wales and finally to George Stephenson on the last 3 from 1861 through to 1865, incidently the mother of the children apart from the first was Jane (nee) Swaffield which he didnt marry until 1864 in Cardiff under the name George Stephens?as a widower, with his father name as Matthew Stephens? According to the census information there was a Matthew Ayton living with his father Matthew, brother James and sister Harriet in Tofts Monk, Norfolk in 1841 and again in the 1851 census Matthew Ayton and his wife Susannah both born in Norfolk living in Battle. Cannot find either Matthew or George in the 1861 census, quite a few house numbers from the street where i know he was living from 1858 up until 1901 in the 1861 census were missing but he is down as George Stephenson/Stevenson in the 1871, 1881, 1891 and 1901 census. Can anybody help me with clarifying this situation in whether my great grandfather was born George Stephenson or Matthew (george?) Ayton? or whether anybody has access to the Norfolk Parish Registers as i am not in travelling distance. Any help would be greatly appreciated in this matter. Chris Willis (nee Stephenson)