Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

IS YOUR BIRTHDAY 19th FEBRUARY?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Madeline

Madeline Report 31 Oct 2009 14:27

If you are a man aged 49 and your birthday is 19th February 1961, could you be my half-brother? You were born in Harrow, Middx., and adopted a few months after you were born. I am registered on the Adoption Contact Register at the GRO, and with NORCAP, in the hope of finding you. I have also put your birth name in my family tree on here.

Eileen

Eileen Report 4 Nov 2009 21:07

Hi Madeline - just to wish you good luck with the Adoption Contact Register - it does work, I put a notice on there 15 years ago, to search for my full sister. (we went to different families back in the 1940s) This year she decided to look for her roots, and there was my message waiting for her.........it was wonderful. Just shows that if you wait long enough, you may get your reward. I had also posted all over the internet for over ten years, but it turns out that she never looks at the 'net and never learned to use a computer. She did not even know her birth name, so would not have known my messages were for her. One thing to remember is that men are statistically less likely to search for their birth family than women do.
Good luck
Eileen
birth name - born 1944 - adopted 1946 - found birth mother 1972, and birth father's later children, but sadly not in time to know birth father.
Finally found full sister this year, after a 40 year search.

Madeline

Madeline Report 7 Nov 2009 14:16

Thank you Eileen, how wonderful for you, that gives us hope. Yes, we are aware that men are statistically less likely to search for their birth family. I can only hope that in our case it is because he is happy with the family he has, which is what Mum wanted for him all along. I also live in hope that even if he himself doesn't look for Mum, that maybe a son or daughter if he has any, might do.

Dea

Dea Report 7 Nov 2009 14:20

Hi Madeline,

I am sorry I cant give you any help on this but just wanted to wish you luck.

I am sure that Eileen's post must give you a little more hope.

Very best wishes,

I hope it works out for you - SO sorry I can do nothing to help.

Dea x

P.S.

Best wishes also to Eileen.

Dea x

Madeline

Madeline Report 7 Nov 2009 14:22

thank you for your kind words Dea x

Whirley

Whirley Report 23 Nov 2009 12:39

Madeline, you are registered with NORCAP have they done any searches for you? Have you tried an Intermediary Service in the area that the adoption took place as they maybe able to help you, normally they do not charge (mine never) some may ask for a small fee.

Just a thought. If you need any advice, please feel free to PM me.

Madeline

Madeline Report 23 Nov 2009 14:18

Thank you for your reply Whirly in WWWW!
No, NORCAP haven't done a search for me as we cannot afford to pay their fees, so I am only registered on their contact register.
Have tried Social Services Dept in the area the adoption took place but as it was a private adoption they weren't able to do much more than I have already.

Sheila

Sheila Report 24 Nov 2009 14:06

Hi Madeline

It should not matter that it was a private adoption, there should still be court records that SS can access for you, if you have no joy with them try the courts local to where the adoption took place to see if they still hold them.

Madeline

Madeline Report 1 Dec 2009 13:37

Thank you for replying Sheila, might give it a go when I get time.

iki

iki Report 13 Dec 2009 14:25

Nudge good luck with your searchxxx

Madeline

Madeline Report 9 Jan 2010 17:12

happy new year, hope you're all enjoying the snow!
Nudge

oldboy

oldboy Report 28 Jan 2010 08:51

Keep going Madeline I found my sister after 45 years apart and a brother I never knew I had and they turned up in the strangest places one was a Gypsey and one a radio d j in Ireland!! you never know.
Good Luck
Alan

Madeline

Madeline Report 30 Jan 2010 10:34

Thanks Alan, I feel I've done all I can, putting our info out there in the most obvious places, should he ever look!

Madeline

Madeline Report 3 Feb 2010 19:49

nudge

PollyPoppet

PollyPoppet Report 3 Feb 2010 19:55

Hi Madeline
Dont ever give up I just found my Dads Sister they have been appart 75 years
What about putting something in the paper

Madeline

Madeline Report 3 Feb 2010 20:09

Thank you for reply PollyPoppet, hadn't thought of that. I suppose The Times would be the obvious choice?
I have registered my details in the obvious places he would be directed to if he ever did look for us.
Anyway I just like to keep this nudged, and I'll update it on his bithday to dispose of all the deleted posts on this thread!

PollyPoppet

PollyPoppet Report 3 Feb 2010 20:16

Hi what about the social service deparment who dealt with the addoption cant they help you
it was me deleted sorry posted twice

Madeline

Madeline Report 5 Feb 2010 17:09

Hi PollyPoppet, have been in touch with SS dept.,but as it was a private adoption it would be too long-winded, and anyway, as I've registered with the Adoption Contact Register at GRO, I feel that is the most obvious place and where he would be directed to look if he ever decided to search for us.

Madeline

Madeline Report 6 Feb 2010 16:56

n

Madeline

Madeline Report 7 Feb 2010 12:17

n