Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Taylor

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Arabella

Arabella Report 5 Dec 2006 21:11

Hello I believe that one of my gggrandmothers was Harriet Matilda Mays. This lady married Alfred Taylor, a French polisher, in c. 1858, and they had a son Alfred b. 1859 in Bethnal Green in Middlesex (and other children). I am SLIGHTLY unsure re the Taylor line - my grandmother was b. Beatrice Taylor and her father Alfred was a carpenter. On what I believe to be her parents' marriage cert Alfred's father was a French polisher. I found that family OK, but what I'm a bit concerned about is that on the census of 1891 Alfred is b. in Shoreditch, but the Alfred I'm following was b. in Bethnal Green. They appear to be close on the London maps - does anyone have an opinion as to whether Shoreditch & Bethnal Green could be confused in that way? Just to make matters complicated there are 3 Alfred Taylors with fathers called Alfred who were all concerned with wood in some way or other! Although only one was a polisher. 2 of those Alfreds were b. Shoreditch! The one I'm following was b. Bethnal Green. The other complication is the fact that Beatrice Taylor is not an uncommon name, although I do believe I have the right m. certificate for her parents, in which case Alfred junior married Sarah Jane Richards and they were m. in the parish of St mark Old Street - and I know that was in Shoreditch. Any suggestions re Shoreditch v Bethnal Green gratefully received! I also think I have found Alfred senior living with his Dad Thomas Taylor (a tailor) in 1851 - but again - not easy to be 100% sure. Poss Alfred senior b. Clerkenwell.

Wendy

Wendy Report 6 Dec 2007 14:49

Dear Loretta,
I am sure you have found out by now that Shoreditch was the centre of the furniture industry, which explains your surfeit of french polishers. My Taylors were from around Hammersmith and were furniture salesmen.
Good luck with the hunt
Wendy Richardson