Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Holy Cross Convent, Ramsgate Road, Broadstairs

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jill

Jill Report 4 Nov 2007 09:36

Does anyone know anything about the Holy Cross Convent, Ramsgate Road, Broadstairs? My Great Aunt, Thelma Doreen Turner (nee Layng), resided there and worked as a domestic servant (according to her Marriage Certificate dated 10th November 1934).

I only found out about the existence of my Great Aunt a few weeks ago. Sadly she died in 2000. It is not known where, or by whom, she was brought up. Was the Convent also an orphanage? I would be extremely grateful for any snippet of information, however small.

Pete

Pete Report 4 Nov 2007 10:59

Googled and found this:

"Holy Cross was built in 1930 for the Daughters of the Cross as a convent. By 1931 they ran it as a residential open air school for delicate & sick children, & as a convalescent home. It was staffed by catholic nuns, & run by a Mother Superior. It closed down in 1939 & re-opened in 1947, still as a convalescent home. In 1962 it became a Secondary Modern Catholic School, but the proposed additional Infants School was turned down because of access from Dumpton Park Drive. The Catholic school finally closed in 2002, & re-opened as the re-located Hereson School from Ramsgate.

(We are keeping an eye on the school fields & building speculators at present).
Tony Euden (Broadstairs)"

See http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/Isle-of-Thanet/2006-10/1160081670