Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Barnfather

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Catherine

Catherine Report 9 Dec 2008 20:50

Just wondered if there were any relations here of James Smith Barnfather, born c1873 in Burley, leeds?
His mother Sarah Jane Gibson was a relative of mine and after finding lots of details about him on Ancestry i've become a bit obsessed with finding out about his life.
It seems he had a very successful career in the army as a Royal engineer, working his way up to Quartermaster Sgt, Regimental Sgt Major and Lieutenant.
It also seems from records that in 1910 at the age of 37 he(and possibly other family members) changed their names from Barnfather to Gibson, his mothers maiden name.

Any info appreciated.

Cath xx

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 9 Dec 2008 22:00

Have you been in touch with the others who are shown in the quick search box above? There are several with his name on their tree.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 9 Dec 2008 22:13

James Smith BARNFATHER Head M Male 39 Hunslet, York, England Chartered Accountant
Sarah Jane BARNFATHER Wife M Female 39 Hunslet, York, England
Frederic Gardener BARNFATHER Son U Male 13 Burley Leeds, York, England Scholar
Oswald Earnest BARNFATHER Son U Male 11 Burley Leeds, York, England Scholar
James Smith BARNFATHER Son U Male 8 Burley Leeds, York, England Scholar
Kate BARNFATHER Daur U Female 6 South Milford, York, England
Ellen COCKSHOT Visitor W Female 69 Burnley, Lancashire, England
Sarah Elizabeth WILD Servant U Female 21 (On Board Ship In The Thames), At Sea Domestic Servant

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
Dwelling 3 The Terrace
Census Place South Milford, York, England
Family History Library Film 1342139
Public Records Office Reference RG11
Piece / Folio 4714 / 143
Page Number 8

1881 census

Catherine

Catherine Report 10 Dec 2008 12:06

Thanks for the info.
I have most of the census info already but would love to get in touch with relatives.
I have been in touch with some of the ancestors yes but waiting to hear from others.

Thank you