Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Ada Nicholls

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ian

Ian Report 5 May 2010 21:08

I am trying to find information relating to my Great Grandmother Ada Nicholls, born 3/7/1882, in Tunbridge Wells (GRO reference 2a 647, Father, Henry Nicholls & Mother, Mary Mott). I have found Ada in both 1901 and 1911 Census, working as a house servant in Lambeth and Streatham. Post 1911, I have no information for either marriage or death records. If anyone can help me, I would be extremely grateful.

patchem

patchem Report 5 May 2010 21:11

Do you know her exact birth date, as possibles exist for unmarried death?
e.g.
Ada Nicholls
Birth Date: 23 Sep 1882 Death Registration Month/Year: 1974
Registration district: Thurrock Inferred County: Essex Volume: 9
Page: 2691

Ian

Ian Report 5 May 2010 21:59

Thanks, known details are as follows;
Birth Date: 3/7/1882, GRO Ref 2a 647, Sub District Tunbridge Wells
Marriage: Unknown
Death: Unknown
Regards, Ian.

patchem

patchem Report 5 May 2010 23:04

Remote possible?
Marriages Dec 1915
Collison Harry Nicholls Sevenoaks 2a 2323
Nicholls Ada Collison Sevenoaks 2a 2323
only estimated death:
Ada Collison
Death Registration Month/Year: 1964 Age at death (estimated): 81
Registration district: Tonbridge Inferred County: Kent
Volume: 5b Page: 897

patchem

patchem Report 5 May 2010 23:24

I have looked at all the prospective surnames for Ada Nicholls marriages up to 1922, and then looked at dates of death of any Ada's with new surname.
I was really hoping that July 3rd would spring into view for an associated birth date, but no.
The marriage and death are the right region, so depends how much of a gambling man you are to apply for marriage certificate.
Just thought, who is your grandmother or grandfather, that you do not know about any marriage, normally we work backwards from known, or was her child illegitimate?
Anyway, that was a digression, there are at least 2 possible children from this marriage, Irene and Joan
(No unmarried Ada with that birth date appeared)

Ian

Ian Report 6 May 2010 18:24

Patricia,

Many thanks for your help, it is much appreciated. My Grandmother Dorothy Nicholls was born to Ada in 1899 in Tunbridge Wells. She then grew up with a Mrs E Copperwheat and never knew of her mother or father. I have taken a gamble on the marriage to Harry Collison and obtained the certificate. This provides a match with Ada's age but states her father as George Nicholls and not Henry as per her birth certificate. Maybe this is Ada who could have incorrectly stated her fathers name.
Ian.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 6 May 2010 18:32

Ian
Where did you find the information re Ada's birth to be sure that this is the mother of Dorothy.?

Gwyn

Ian

Ian Report 6 May 2010 20:48

Gwyn,
I originally found Henry Nicholls (Ada's Father) in the 1901 census, living as a boarder with Dorothy listed as a grandaughter. The head of this household was Mrs E copperwheat with whom Dorothy was eventually brought up.
Ada is also recorded on Dorothy's birth certificate as her mother.