Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help needed with elusive ancestor - George Edwards

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lianne

Lianne Report 30 Aug 2011 13:35

Hi All

I have been trying to trace the Edwards side of my tree for several years but keep hitting a brick wall with my GGG Grandfather, George Edwards. I am just putting down all I have uncovered so far in the hope someone might be able to help. My Grandfather has recently passed away which has ignited renewed interest in this side of the tree.

My GG Grandfathers (Arthur Edwards) marriage certificate which I have obtained a copy of reveals that his Father was George Edwards, a Brewers Assistant. No idea of Arthur's Mothers name.

This is the detail from his sons marriage cert:

Arthur Edwards and Rachel Dayer were 42 and 41 years old when they were married and had been together for at least 16 years. They were married in the register office in Liverpool (bootle) in 1927

(Rachel was widow and was born Rachel Plunkett, (in Liverpool) her first huband, Edgar Dayer, Died in 1909 - Arthur was not married before according to the marriage cert)

Arthur and Rachel had been together for at a least 16 years and had 7 children together before they actually got married. Their son (Arthur Thomas Edwards - my G Grandfather) was born in May 1911 and we think there was one child, a sister who was older than him Mattie (Matilda?). This is according to Arthur and Rachel youngest child Hannah, who died only few years ago.

I cant find Arthur and Rachel on on the 1911 census either!! I know they were together as their child Arthur Thomas was born in Liverpool in May 1911. Unsure of the birthplace of Arthur although he resided in Liverpool for much of his live. This is also very frustrating.

George Edwards is quite a common name and I am not sure which area the family are from and also I have no idea who his wife was.

Hope someone is able to help

thanks
Lianne

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 30 Aug 2011 13:45

Hi Lianne - do you know if Rachel had any children from her first marriage?

If we can find them we might trace Rachel in 1911.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 30 Aug 2011 13:48

According to Rachel's first marriage she was born 1884:

Liverpool, Lancashire, England, Marriages and Banns, 1813-1921
about Rachel Plunkett
Name: Rachel Plunkett
Birth Year: abt 1884
Marriage Date: 3 Jul 1905
Parish: Liverpool St Nicholas
Spouse's Name: Edgar Dayer
Father's name: Ralph Plunkett
Spouse Father's Name: William Dayer

Here's her baptism:

Liverpool, Lancashire, England, Baptisms, 1813-1906
about Rachel Plunkett
Name: Rachel Plunkett
Birth Date: 27 Nov 1883
Baptism Date: 3 Feb 1884
Parish: Liverpool St Peter
Father's name: Ralph Plunkett
Mother's name: Mary Ann Plunkett

Mary

Mary Report 30 Aug 2011 13:56

Eveline 31/3/1905
Martha 1906-1985
Minnie Aka Doris 18/11/1908 who went to another family @ 1912 .
A tree on Ancestry has the info plus a photo of rachel who died 1959.
Same tree has parents as George Edwards 1850 - 1908 Shropshire mum Mary nee Fardoe 1847 1847 - 1888 Shropshire.

This tree is very well reseached and has many documents to back the info up.

Maryb

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 30 Aug 2011 14:02

Eveline's baptism:

Liverpool, Lancashire, England, Baptisms, 1813-1906
about Eveline Dayer
Name: Eveline Dayer
Birth Date: 31 Mar abt 1905
Baptism Date: 14 Apr 1905
Parish: Seaforth St Thomas
Father's name: Edgar Dayer
Mother's name: Rachel Dayer

Andrew

Andrew Report 30 Aug 2011 14:06

Surname First name(s) Age District Vol Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deaths Jun 1905 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dayer Eveline 0 W Derby 8b 168

Andy

Mary

Mary Report 30 Aug 2011 14:26

Duplicate thread.
One posted 27/3/2009.

Maryb.

Beverley

Beverley Report 4 Mar 2018 07:43

Hi I'm Beverley Cranney the daughter in law of Hannah May Cranney and married to her youngest son Tony. We live in New Zealand and have recently been reunited with Kenny Edwards jnr (also in NZ) Arthur Thomas Edwards grandson. His dad Kenny snr is visiting this month and we are all meeting up. If you have any questions I'd gladly ask. Both Kenny jnr and I are researching our family trees.
I have a tree on Ancestry.
Cheers Bev

Beverley

Beverley Report 4 Mar 2018 07:43

Hi I'm Beverley Cranney the daughter in law of Hannah May Cranney and married to her youngest son Tony. We live in New Zealand and have recently been reunited with Kenny Edwards jnr (also in NZ) Arthur Thomas Edwards grandson. His dad Kenny snr is visiting this month and we are all meeting up. If you have any questions I'd gladly ask. Both Kenny jnr and I are researching our family trees.
I have a tree on Ancestry.
Cheers Bev

Beverley

Beverley Report 4 Mar 2018 07:50

Hi me again, we also see Norma Robertson (she lives in Australia) Norma is Ruth (Edwards)Beckley daughter. Norma spent a lot of time with her Nin Rachel Edwards so she may know more.
Cheers Bev

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Mar 2018 09:58

Beverley

Lianne posted her request in 2011 and didn’t apparently respond to the help given at the time, so it is unlikely that she will be looking now for replies

To try to make contact, click on her name and send a message. If her email hasn’t changed, she will get notification from GR