Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Henry & Ester Gilbert Erith, Kent

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ravon

ravon Report 12 May 2012 16:14

Researching Henry Gilbert 1788, Erith, Kent

Looking for Henry's parents and siblings. Any help appreciated.

Henry Gilbert 1788 Erith, Kent may be recorded as Henery or even Henerey.
-m-
Esther Wooding c.1795 Erith, Kent may be recorded as Hester or Ester

children:
1810 Henry
1813 William
1815 Sarah
1816 Hester
1818 Mary

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 12 May 2012 16:14

Hello Ravon - where have you already looked?

ravon

ravon Report 12 May 2012 16:26

Parish record search (Bexley) very cursory and nothing found!
I thought that I'd see if this thread would turn up anything before I got the car out next week!

Mike *

Mike * Report 12 May 2012 16:35

Only a submitted record

Where did you find his DOB ?
If from the 1841 census, remember that ages were rounded down on that census to the nearest 5

Henery Gilbert--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth: 1784 Erith, Kent, England

Marriages:
Spouse: Esther
Marriage: 1809 ;Erith, Kent, England

Maddie

Maddie Report 12 May 2012 16:36

sons baptism
Surname:Gilbert

Forenames:Henry

Baptism Year:1810

Baptism Month:DEC

Baptism Day:25

Mother:Esther

Father:Henry

Birth Year:

Birth Month:

Birth Day:

Place:Erith

County:Kent

Source:St.Johns Erith baptisms 1801-1812

Notes:

Record source:Thames & Medway Baptisms

Data provider:Rob Cottrell, Trueflare Limited

ravon

ravon Report 12 May 2012 17:15

Mike, thanks...
"Henery" is taken from the 41 census

in some records it's "Henerey". Family bible shows
"Henry 1788 " but almost illegible hand.
I didn't know that the 1841 rounds down to the nearest
five. Where did you get that little gem from? Do you know why they
did it? What did they do with a 4 year old?

Maddie,
I've got all of the children. But thanks for the effort anyway.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 12 May 2012 17:16

So this is a different Henry Gilbert marriage to a different Esther?

England, Marriages, 1538–1973

groom's name: Henry Gilbert
groom's birth date:
groom's birthplace:
groom's age:
bride's name: Esther Hills
bride's birth date:
bride's birthplace:
bride's age:
marriage date: 03 Jul 1808
marriage place: Bexley, Kent, England
groom's father's name:
groom's mother's name:
bride's father's name:
bride's mother's name:
groom's race:
groom's marital status:
groom's previous wife's name:
bride's race:
bride's marital status:
bride's previous husband's name:
indexing project (batch) number: I02217-7
system origin: England-EASy
source film number: 992454
reference number: yr 1755-1809 p 96

Source Citation
"England, Marriages, 1538–1973 ," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NJLB-D6V : accessed 12 May 2012), Henry Gilbert, 1808.

Mike *

Mike * Report 12 May 2012 17:17

Only adult ages (over 15) were rounded down in 1841 and it hasn't been done since.

I've also heard that ages of over 70 were rounded down to the nearest 10

ravon

ravon Report 12 May 2012 17:34

Did they ever give any reason?

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 12 May 2012 17:35

No reason as far as I know, just that they could!

Note from FMP:

Note:
In the 1841 Census a policy of rounding down ages was in place. As such, people aged:

15-19 were recorded as 15
20-24 were recorded as 20
25-29 were recorded as 25
30-34 were recorded as 30
35-39 were recorded as 35...and so on
1841 was the first time that the head of each household was given a form to fill in on behalf of everyone in the dwelling on a set day. This system still forms the basis of the method used today.

The 1841 census was taken on the night of 6 June 1841 and gave the total population as 18,553,124.

I have seen instances, however, where the enumerator put actual ages.

ravon

ravon Report 12 May 2012 17:36

Hi Marieceleste,
wrong people altogether I'm afraid.

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 12 May 2012 18:26

There are a lot of Gilberts buried in Erith, maybe some of them can tie in with you even though it's not a direct response to your query.

http://www.kentarchaeology.org.uk/Research/Libr/MIs/MIsErith/01.htm

ravon

ravon Report 12 May 2012 22:36

Thanks Beverly, but I think Iv'e got every legible headstone in the area!

I think the micro fish are calling, can't see any other way but a visit to parish records.

Mike *

Mike * Report 12 May 2012 22:53

micro fish (microfiche)...... love it !

Mark

Mark Report 1 May 2018 08:48

My family is descended on my GGM side from the Gilberts of Erith.
Henry Gilbert will be descended from John Gilbert, in turn from Henry Gilbert C1740's. their main property was Herring Hill Farm.
Henry is a difficult one to trace because he was virtually written out of his father John's will in 1789 and the estate passed to his three brothers William, Thomas and Moses. i am not at ALL sure which Henry married Esther Wooding or Esther Hills! if you have more leads perhaps we can join up the dots?!!
my family descends through George Gilbert 1836 but these are large farming families. I have several Wills, including Edward Gilbert (the brother of George my GGGf) who died in 1890 at Letitia Cottage, Heron Hill, Erith. the other Wills are much earlier. there is one for Moses Gilbert d 1849 but I cannot place him at all! i have Moses of a similar age but he died in 1846. I have his Will, and he left his estate to his Wife (Herring Hill Farm)

Mark

Mark Report 29 May 2018 07:38

Dear all,

My family is descended through the Erith Gilbert line on my GGGF's side, George Gilbert 1836-1911 and Esther Kitt, who was one of the youngest sons of John Gilbert 1794 - 1868 and Sarah Fletcher. John was, in turn, the son of Thomas Gilbert 1764 - 1810 and Elizabeth Gratwick. Thomas was the son of another John Gilbert d1789 (wife unknown) and he the son of Henry and Elizabeth Gilbert, died 1754. I am building on research carried out by my father's cousin and this is a very large family with typical names such as Henry, John, Thomas, Moses (through the Gratwick line) Edward, George, William. These Gilberts were long-time holders of Herring Hill Farm, Belvedere and other tenancies. some owned land also. There are several wills that help enormously in the mapping of the family and the 1842 Tithe Return for Erith and Plumstead show the extent of ownership.
Henry is a name that becomes disassociated from this family in the census returns. I have searched everywhere for a link back to the family but without success. However, the earliest returns give birth places as Erith. Whilst there were other Gilbert families in Erith that emanated from elsewhere, the earliest ones are from Erith. The assumption has to be that they ARE of this original family.
Now back in the will of John Gilbert (died 1789) his eldest son Henry was somewhat passed over in the will. he must have been a very troublesome and perhaps spendthrift son for this to have happened. the estate went to his other sons, Moses, William and Thomas and considerations to his daughters Elizabeth Chaplin, Mary Good and Sally Gilbert. His wife must have already died so we do not have her name. Importantly, NONE of the other sons ever named their children Henry! Oh dear! What a family hiatus!
This occurrence may explain the break in the link with Henry. if he were dispossessed of land then he may have fell into obscurity. The wives Esther Wooding and Esther Hills I found also, and have postulated a link that has our dispossessed Henry marrying Esther Wooding and their Child, Henry marrying Esther Hills, but i am not sure that the dates really fit. You have to be careful because there are other Gilberts from other parts whose marriage/birth certificates show father as Henry. this doubles the trouble!
There are three families in the censuses who are also 'floating' needing a link to our family. I am still searching!
I am in the midst of writing a family history of the Head family of Plumstead, of which the Gilberts are an important link. My GGGF George Gilbert never held land but he did start a Greengrocery business on Plumstead Road, Plumstead, living at Belvedere later on. His brother, Edward, had 3 wives and ran a market garden (as did other siblings). Their father John and their uncles Moses and Thomas held a great deal of land but it all dissipated after the coming of the railway and the expansion of housing. My GGF Matthew Head carried on the Fruiterer business as did my GF and Father, with shops in Plumstead, Welling and Orpington.

Do let me know if you have any further info on Henry or any other Gilbert from Erith. i am particularly interested to see the mention of a family Bible - any chance of a transcription of the names??