Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with 1939 register please?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date
Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Nala

Nala Report 2 Jan 2017 12:02

I am looking to progress with finding out more about a deceased Uncle.

Does anyone have access to the 1939 site?

His name was William Ewart Stone born 1911 in Worcestershire. His wife was named Leafa Evelyn nee Mitchell. Did they have children and where were they living in 1939?

Thanking you in advance Nala.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 2 Jan 2017 13:01

I don't have a FMP sub to see all the details, but I can post this:

Stone Household
Droitwich R.D., Worcestershire, England

William Ewart Stone 1911
Leafa Evelyn Stone is also on this record
6 more people who are officially closed

So they may have had 6 children (though some of the closed records may have been other adults in the household).

FreeBMD shows a daughter Stone, mms Mitchell, born Droitwich 1939 (2nd qr).

There are two other Worcestershire births, Stone/Mitchell, 1933 and 1937, but not in Droitwich.

jansmith

jansmith Report 2 Jan 2017 13:02

Address in 1939 No 1 Church View Cottages Hartlebury , Droitwich R.D., Worcestershire, England
There are some covered details underneath so could be children
His occupation from transcript .General Yard Labourer & Bu Electric Porcelain Mfrs

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 2 Jan 2017 13:09

PS to my earlier post:

I see William and Leafa were married 1937, so the 1933 birth probably isn't their child.

But they were married in Kidderminster, and the 1937 birth is in Kidderminster, so is likely their daughter.

jansmith

jansmith Report 2 Jan 2017 13:12

Looking at births surname Stone mothers maiden name Mitchell in Droitwich, Worcestershire, England there are 6 first in 1939 last in 1948. Not putting details as they could well be living and may or may not be their children (would need the certificates to confirm)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 2 Jan 2017 13:12

Ancestry shows several possible births after 1939 - in Droitwich - Stone / Mitchell:

son 1944, son 1943, twin boys 1946, daughter 1941.

Nala

Nala Report 2 Jan 2017 13:21

Thank you both for this information on William and his family.

Very Helpful to me. Nala.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 2 Jan 2017 20:27

Also down for William,

7th Batt Worc Regt,,,,,,, TA 4 yeas,,,.Pt (private)524?905.

was in the TA for the previous 4 yeas.

greyghost

greyghost Report 2 Jan 2017 20:32

Try the relatively new free site for mother's maiden names
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp

You have to register but no cost.

Shows mothers maiden names from start of registration 1837 through to 1915 and ages at death (though they haven't as yet sorted how to show months or weeks - only show as years !!)

Nala

Nala Report 3 Jan 2017 09:41

Kay and Greyghost I thank you very much (and a Happy New Year) to you both for this information.

My Dad always said his Brother joined the Worcesters.

Regards from Nala. :-D

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 3 Jan 2017 10:16

William Ewart Stone on the 1939 Register
Stone Household (2 People) No 1 Church View Cottages Hartlebury , Droitwich R.D., Worcestershire, England

William Ewart Stone 13 Sep 1911 General Yard Labourer & Bu Electric Porcelain Mfrs
Leafa Evelyn Stone 23 Jun 1907 Domestic Duties

Rose

Rose Report 3 Jan 2017 12:00

hi
william ewart stone and wife living at no 1 church view cottages hartlebury droitwich
no children