Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Glasgow electoral look up please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jean

Jean Report 20 Jan 2017 11:10

Could someone please look at the Glasgow Electoral rolls for 1950 / 1951.

I have a relative who died at 21, Craig Road, Cathcart, Glasgow on 15/2/1951.
Her name was Mary Moore b 1892 ,William Muir her husband signed the death certificate.
My problem is I cannot find a marriage for them on Scotlandspeople so know nothing about William or if the had children.

Thank you

In 1911 she is living with her parents and siblings at 776, Argyle Street, Glasgow.
Parents are Duncan Stewart Moore and Mary nee Crawford.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 20 Jan 2017 11:58

There were dozens of William Muirs and Mary Muirs in Glasgow in 1950-1.

Did either of them have a middle initial, which might reduce the number of records which have to be looked at individually?

Ancestry doesn't allow narrowing the search to Cathcart or any particular address -- just "Glasgow"!

Jean

Jean Report 20 Jan 2017 12:01

Thank you for looking ArgyllGran,

Sorry no middle names for Mary and not sure about William, only know his name from Mary's death certificate.

greyghost

greyghost Report 20 Jan 2017 12:02

Possible William Muir deaths looking at Glasgow (Cathcart) and age. Might be worth having a look at the certificates on Scotland's People? There are many more william Muir deaths elsewhere

MUIR WILLIAM
62 1954
644/19 303
Cathcart (Glasgow)

-------------------------
or this born c 1884
MUIR WILLIAM CONN
71 1955
644/19 1162
Cathcart (Glasgow)
-----------------------------
born c 1890
MUIR WILLIAM MCLEOD
72 1962
644/12 1149
Cathcart (Glasgow)

Jean

Jean Report 20 Jan 2017 12:15

Thank you greyghost,
I have looked at them but not him I'm afraid.

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 20 Jan 2017 16:00

Duncan S Moore, tinsmith is on the electoral roll at 776 Argyle Street until at least 1915.

In 1918 he is listed at 35 Houldsworth Street, Glasgow:

Duncan S Moore, tinsmith
Mrs Mary Moore
Mary Moore machinist
-----------------------------

Daughter Mary is still with them in 1920 at 35 Houldsworth Street.

In 1921 there is no daughter Mary listed, but a Mabel Moore appears with them

In 1923 Mabel and Alexandrina Moore are listed with Duncan and Mrs Mary Moore

So it looks as though Mary left the home between 1920/21

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 20 Jan 2017 16:39

Did we look before, or was that something else Cathcart...

Chris :)

(from google search)

I have a death certificate for one of my ancestors Mary Moore b 1893. Parents are Duncan Stewart Moore and Mary nee Crawford.

She died in 1951 in the district of Cathcart .In the column when and where died it shows 21, Craig Road but it does not say usual address, just wondering if she actually lived there or was visiting .

It also shows married to a William Muir ( engine fitter ), he signed the cert, but I have not been able to find a marriage for them or a death for him , so any tips on how to find their marriage on SP without spending a fortune ,especially with names like Moore and Muir , would be great.

I did find Mary and her parents on the 1911 census living in Argyle Street and their neighbours are a Muir family with son William about the same age as Mary so maybe this is her William.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=210257;area=showposts;sa=topics;start=9

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 20 Jan 2017 17:04

There is a Joseph Muir , tinsmith living at 776 Argyle Street on the electoral registers in 1913 (and before). He's not listed there in 1914.

However, in 1918 Joseph Muir , tinsmith, and family, are living nextdoor to the Moores at 43 Houldsworth Street (numbers jump from 35 to 43).

1918 -43 Houldsworth Street:

Joseph Muir, tinsmith
Mrs Agnes Muir
William Muir, fitter
Robert Muir, soldier
------------------------------

William is at the same address in 1920, but he's not with the other Muirs in 1921- so he left the family home the same time as Mary Moore- looks like a match!

Jean

Jean Report 20 Jan 2017 19:15

AustinQ,

thank you very much, this is what I was hoping to find, when Mary left home, and I am pretty sure the William living at both addresses is the widower of Mary, although still looking for that marriage , that's if they actually did marry.

I did know about Mary's sisters, Mabel and Alexandrina but Mary's name does not show on any marriages or deaths for her parents or siblings.

Chris,
You are correct,
I did ask for help on another site but nothing came of it .

Thanks again for all help

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 21 Jan 2017 00:45

Jean,
As you will recall, the Crawfords form part of my family and when Mary Crawford married Duncan Stewart Moore, she lied about her parentage and named her grandparents on the marriage cert.

Alexander who she named as her "father", Alexander died almost 10 yrs before she was born.
Her grandmother (Ann) had already re married almost 5yrs before she was born. Ann ( under her new name) brought Mary up whilst the child's mother married and had another family

Her death cert confirms her true parentage... Mary Crawford ( she was the actual daughter of Alexander & Ann)

I haven't looked at the birth cert for Mary, born to Mary Crawford and Duncan Stewart Moore but, I'm fairly certain her birth cert will show her name as :
Mary Crawford Moore
Her sister Alexanderina also had Crawford as her middle name.

Also:
Mabel's age is not correct on the 1901 return.
It should read age 4 rather than 11yrs

There is a Mary Crawford Moore who married in Dennistoun in 1921.
The husband's name is showing as: George G Ellis
Could this be a mis transcription?

Could be worth checking for home address

Jean

Jean Report 21 Jan 2017 11:09

Hi GlasgowLass,
I do remember now about Mary's parentage, thank you.
I thought you were onto something mentioning the middle name Crawford so had a look on SP but sadly not my Mary.
I had already looked at Mary's birth certificate and the marriage you mentioned a while back but Mary's birth certificate just shows her name to be Mary b 19/11/1892 at Lumsden Street , Anderston. and the marriage for Mary and George in Dennistoun shows her parents to be Hugh Moore and Mary Buchanan Crawford Moore .

Thanks again

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 21 Jan 2017 15:37

Thanks Jean,
It was just a thought.

It's possible that the Muir/Muir marriage does exist but it was probably missed when the records were indexed.
There are loads of records which have been ommitted

Jean

Jean Report 22 Jan 2017 19:09

Hello GlasgowLass,

Perhaps you are right.
I don't know about you but I am finding the new Scotlandspeople website a bit of a nightmare , I don't think it's as straightforward as the old site , that is when I can actually log in .

I expect Mary and William's marriage will turn up somewere, fingers crossed.