Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Brenda Marshall marriage to Wightman (sp??)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christopher

Christopher Report 30 Jan 2017 22:34

Trying to chase a wedding between Brenda Marshall and a male called Wightman - possibly Newcastle (potential circa 1970s).

Have Ancestry but given i am an occasional user can't seem to locate this

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 30 Jan 2017 23:18

I can't find anything for a Barbara Marshall to anyone of a similar name to Wightman between 1960 and 1990. Are you certain that they actually married?

Kath. x

Christopher

Christopher Report 30 Jan 2017 23:26

that is the question i asked Mum tonight to which she replied - they were very respectable .... but who knows
Her parents were David and betty Marshall - she had two boys who will have been in their 20s in 1991 ish

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 30 Jan 2017 23:40

The only Wightman/ Marshall marriage that I can find was 1969 in Ilkeston, Derbyshire.
Bride's name was Wendy and Groom's was Terence

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 30 Jan 2017 23:49

Is this it?

MARSHALL BRENDA WEIGHTMAN DURHAM N.W. 1A 1120
WEIGHTMAN ANTHONY M MARSHALL DURHAM N.W. 1A 1120

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 30 Jan 2017 23:49

My husband's mother and father were very moral and straight laced and as respectable as anyone I know but we couldn't find their marriage record after searching for years.

It was only about a year ago when the 1939 register became available that we found a note on his mother's record that mentioned the London Gazette. Apparently she changed her name by deed poll just a week before the birth of my husband's older brother. We knew hubby's dad had been married before in the 1920's and because divorce was difficult and expensive, both he and his wife just started other relationships and lived as man and wife with their new partners.

I don't think you can ever be sure of anyone's relationship without knowing all the facts.

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 30 Jan 2017 23:50

Oh, well done GlasgowLass - that certainly looks right.

This is the full GRO reference for the marriage certificate:-

First name(s) ANTHONY M
Last name WEIGHTMAN
Marriage quarter 1
Marriage year 1974
Registration month -
MarriageFinderâ„¢ ANTHONY M WEIGHTMAN married
Brenda Marshall
Spouse's last name Marshall
District Durham North Western
District number -
County Durham
Country England
Volume 1A
Page 1120
Record set England & Wales Marriages 1837-2008

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 30 Jan 2017 23:55

pm sent with an old (2002) electoral register for this couple with two sons living at home.

Kath. x