Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Missing Father

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 1 Feb 2017 22:18

Hi, I have just watched WDYTYA with Greg Davies. He managed to find a missing fathers name, that was blank on the birth certificate, by looking at court records re the mother claiming child support. I have a missing father to a child born 1913 in London. Any ideas as to where to try and see or search court records from that time.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Susan

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Feb 2017 22:24

The clue originated with a report in the local newspaper. From that, they were able to track down court records.

Unlike his ancestral home, London was a large place & items like that are only likely to be reported in a truly local paper. You could try searching the British Newspaper Archives to see if anything can be found, or alternatively enquire at the nearest library to the child's home to see if they have copies of any local publications which you can search in person.

Susan

Susan Report 1 Feb 2017 22:51

Thanks for your reply. It would be great to solve the mystery. Not sure I will be as lucky as Greg Davies though! :-(

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Feb 2017 23:20

Well, the producers had a team of researchers on the ground. They always make it seem so easy but never tell you how many man-hours went into finding that elusive, breakthrough record. Don't give up, something might pop up as more records come on line.

Christine

Christine Report 2 Feb 2017 18:47

I recently found the name of such an absent father from 1945. I had the mothers full name, dob of child and the town. I contacted the relevant local family history department where they hold the archives. Very helpful and told me a Bastardy Order may have been applied for at the local magistrates petty sessions. They would have searched for me at a cost, but I went in person and was handed an enormous ledger. I started with the date if birth and looked through and, sure enough 6 weeks after the birth in amongst the summonses for illegally parking a bike and summonses for unpaid rates (council tax) there it was - I had his name! Order not granted as he had an alibi for the night in question! However, after tracking down half siblings of the child, photos proved to me, at least, he was the man responsible. x

Susan

Susan Report 3 Feb 2017 12:34

Wow....what a result! My ancestor was born in London so not sure where to start searching. Thanks for your reply. Will try google and see what comes up.

Regards

Susan

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 3 Feb 2017 14:43

Susan- perhaps if you post the name of the mother and child, someone will search the online newspapers.