Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding record of burial.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tigsmum

Tigsmum Report 15 Feb 2017 10:48

I'm trying to find out where my paternal grandmother is buried. Her name when she died was Elizabeth Flowers (nee Burgess) born in 1883. She died on 8th November 1918 at Chapel Lane, Navenby in Lincolnshire. She would almost certainly be in an unmarked grave, probably a paupers grave, as she had spent much of her life in Wisbech workhouse. Her husband was Joseph Flowers and they had married on 2nd March 1915. Surely her burial would need to be recorded somewhere ? I would appreciate any pointers.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 15 Feb 2017 11:10

Deceasedonline.com. Have some Lincolnshire burials. If she married Joseph in 1915 perhaps he bought or had a family lair. Have you found Joseph's burial place please?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 15 Feb 2017 11:25

She's not on this list - but may be in one of the unmarked graves, as you suppose.

http://www.interment.net/data/eng/lincoln/navenby/index.htm

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 15 Feb 2017 11:29

Have you tried contacting Lincolnshire County Council?

Lincolnshire County Council
County Offices, Newland, Lincoln, LN1 1YL
Telephone: 01522-552222
Fax: 01522-516137
Email: [email protected]

I can't find any contact details for Navenby Cemetery in particular, from a Google search.

EDIT:
Actually, this looks possibly more useful:

https://tinyurl.com/z74myy2

malyon

malyon Report 15 Feb 2017 11:32

Elizabeth had middle name M

Marriages Mar 1915   (>99%)

Burgess
 Elizabeth M
 Flowers
 Newark
 7b

malyon

malyon Report 15 Feb 2017 11:36

Births Sep 1883   (>99%)

BURGESS
 Elizabeth Mary

Wisbech
 3b

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 15 Feb 2017 15:02

This link will give you the reference no. for all Navenby burials from 1908-1999. The actual records are held at Lincolnshire Archives, which are at the County Council - contact details as above in ArgyllGran's post. They ask that you quote the ref. when contacting them.

http://www.lincstothepast.com/Burials/621495.record?pt=T

Tigsmum

Tigsmum Report 16 Feb 2017 16:40

Thank you all,
I had found the Navenby cemetery list but realise that it lists only marked graves. Thank you for that link Andysmum, I find the lincs to the past website very confusing but I was already planning to have a day in Lincoln to visit the archive office to research a different aspect so will add this to my list. They were very helpful when I was looking for my father's sister's grave (also unmarked) which I have now been able to visit.
I haven't looked for Joseph's burial place as he wasn't a blood relative and after Elizabeth's death he re-married and then died in Boston. He also had spent time in Wisbech workhouse so will probably also be in an unmarked grave.
If only more of the records for Wisbech workhouse had survived ! (Cambs county archives were also extremely helpful and are one of the county councils who will do paid research for you)