Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Eileen Waldron

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sandra

Sandra Report 9 Jul 2017 08:51

I am looking for information on Eileen Waldron, she was born in Halifax, Yorkshire in 1913, she married my father Arthur Thomas Picton in 1941, can't seem to find out when they divorced, would like to know what happened to her, whether they had children.

Flip

Flip Report 9 Jul 2017 08:59

There are a number of Picton children with mmn Waldron registered in Halifax from 1948 onwards - check this free site to get their names.

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

I can't see another Picton/Waldron marriage to account for the children

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Jul 2017 09:27

Welcome to the Boards, Sandra.

Less than 0.2% of Divorce records after 1932 have survived. You can pay for a search for a decree absolute. See
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/divorces/
for information.

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl Shows 5 Picton/Waldron births, all in Halifax, between 1948 & 1959. To find them yourself, select Births, enter Picton in the surname box & Waldron in the mother's maiden name box. Select a suitable age range such as 1938 to 1973 to cover the possibility that there was another couple with the same surnames.

Click on the numbers in blue. That will give you a list of all the children listed on the same page. You'll notice that as well as Picton, all the Picton/Waldron children are also registered as Sutclliffe/Waldron.

That suggests 2 possibilities.
1 - On the certificate Eileen is listed as Picton, mmn Waldron & that Mr Sutcliffe registered the births to acknowledge paternity
2 - she is listed as Sutcliffe, formerly Picton, mmn Waldron.
Bearing in mind that divorce, although more common after WW2, still wasn't that easy to come by, she may have cohabited with Mr Sutcliffe.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Jul 2017 09:31

This could be their marriage, after the youngest child was born

Marriages Dec 1960 (>99%)
PICTON Eileen SUTCLIFFE Halifax 2b 1093
Sutcliffe Fred Picton Halifax 2b 1093

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Jul 2017 09:36

As her birth was reg Jan-Mar 1913, this *might* be her death.

First name(s) EILEEN
Last name SUTCLIFFE
Gender Female
Birth day 29
Birth month 1
Birth year 1913
Age -
Death quarter 4
Death year 1972
District Oldham
County Lancashire
Volume 10F
Page 378
Country England
Record set England & Wales Deaths 1837-2007
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Deaths & burials
Collections from Great Britain, England
© Findmypast

Flip

Flip Report 9 Jul 2017 09:37

She appears to have married Fred Sutcliffe in Dec qtr 1960, registered in Halifax - so should indicate they were divorced sometime a bit before this, so think Det's suggestion they were co-habiting is a pretty good bet.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Jul 2017 09:42

There is also this possibility if she was born in Dec 1912, but not registered until Jan 1913.
EILEEN
Last name SUTCLIFFE
Gender Female
Birth day 19
Birth month 12
Birth year 1912
Age -
Death quarter 3
Death year 2000
District Leeds
District number 0921J
Register number J6C
Entry number 232
Date of registration mm/yy 0700
County Yorkshire
Country England
Record set England & Wales Deaths 1837-2007

Flip

Flip Report 9 Jul 2017 09:45

Probate for the Eileen death posted by Det is gives date of death 21/11/1972, with probate being granted 13/9/73 in Manchester:

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

Check it out on the above site, but put 1973 as date of death. You can also order a copy (£10 I think) if you want more information.

Added: No probate entry for the 2000 death though

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Jul 2017 09:52

If you wanted to order any certificates to rule out or confirm, use https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/
Each one will cost £9.25 inc P&P.

You could also Search all members trees - top right under Search - for her & her Sutcliffe children's names. You might need to repeat the children's search under Picton. If anyone lists them, send a message asking how they are related & explain your own connection.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Jul 2017 09:59

Unless her various surnames were badly transcribed, or she had already volunteered for War Service, she doesn't seem to be listed on the 1939 Register.

If she'd died in 1972, it should have been opened.
For that matter, as she'd have been over 100 in 2015 when the Register became public, the entry ought have been opened anyway. A bit of a conundrum.

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 9 Jul 2017 10:06

This appears to be the Eileen Sutcliffe born 29th Jan 1913

Eileen Sutcliffe on the 1939 Register

Sutcliffe Household (4 People) 55 Crete Street , Oldham C.B., Lancashire, England

Eileen Sutcliffe 29 Jan 1913 (Single) Check Club (Clerk)
Maud Sutcliffe 13 Jul 1889 Secretary Also Clerk Borough Treasuring Office
Mary J Sutcliffe 25 Oct 1885 Domestic
Stanley Sutcliffe 19 Jan 1920 Junior Clerk

Flip

Flip Report 9 Jul 2017 10:12

That's the same address as given on probate record - so would rule out the 1972 death.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Jul 2017 10:13

Which makes the death in 2000 more plausible?

Flip

Flip Report 9 Jul 2017 10:27

Could do with finding Fred's age from the 1960 marriage, to check him out - see if it gives anything more on them - maybe find his death. But yes, the 2000 death looks to be a possibility.

Sandra

Sandra Report 9 Jul 2017 10:29

Many thanks for all the replies, I did manage to find the marriage to Sutcliffe and it could possibly be the same person, my father was already with my mother towards the end of the war but they did not get married until 1966, so we can only assume that my father was still married to Eileen up until that point or until 1960 when she married Sutcliffe, I was just wanting to check to see if we had any half siblings that needed to be added to the family tree, I suppose it is a possibility that John Picton born in 1948 is a half sibling as my father would have traveled to Halifax to visit relatives, I will have to dig deeper to find out, once again many thanks for all the information :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Jul 2017 10:39

As John Picton is also registered as Sutcliffe, it's more likely that he's Fred's son. If not, then Fred believed he was. Possibly only a DNA test would prove one way or the other.

If you have the cash to spare, buy Eileen Waldron's BC to find out her DOB.

Sandra

Sandra Report 9 Jul 2017 10:58

Many thanks, I have messaged a tree owner where John Picton is listed so hopefully I might get some answers :-)