Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Surrey Institutional Records 1788-1939

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pamela

Pamela Report 11 Jul 2017 18:14

I have just seen this info about new records on Find My Past and had hoped to find some record from Kingston Union Workhouse/ Infirmary about my Grandads first child who died there on 17th January 1913. He was born at home in Haydons Road Wimbledon on 15th November 1912. The baby's Mother died on 11th December 1912 in Kingston Union Infirmary An inquest was held on 14th December 1912 for the Mother (Surrey Coroner) Mothers name was Lilian Cuzner and Childs Name Stephen The baby's Death certificate says Workhouse. I have been unable to find anything on the new Surrey Institutional Records I had a thread on this a few years ago. Thanks for any help Pam

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 11 Jul 2017 19:01

Nothing Cuzner (below given in list)

Chris :)

Addlestone
Chertsey
Cobham
Dorking
Farnham
Godstone
Guildford
Hambledon
Redhill
Richmond Upon Thames
Southwark
Woking

Edits (Both Burial images on below)

https://www.kingston.gov.uk/directory/20/burial_records

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Jul 2017 20:00

The Workhouse often had the only hospital for poor people to attend

It sounds as if the mother either went into the Infirmary to have the baby, and then died there from whatever is stated on the death certificate, and that the baby remained there. The other alternative is that she had the baby at home, as most women did in those days, that something then went wrong, and she was taken to the Infirmary section of the Workhouse along with her baby,

Dying so soon after birth might indicate that the baby was also sickly

What is the cause of death on the actual certificate for the mother and for the baby??

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 11 Jul 2017 20:07

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1293017

(baby on above Sylvia, just found 'Thread'...

Chris :)

Pamela

Pamela Report 11 Jul 2017 21:09

Hi Yes that is the thread I posted a few years ago. The cause of death of Mother was Syncope PM Puerperal Septicaemia Babies cause of death was Intestinal Indigestion. The baby was born at home with Grandmother in attendance.
Thanks

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Jul 2017 01:27

What else do you hope to find from the institutional records???

You know that the baby was born at home. Mother then developed childbirth fever and was taken into the Infirmary at the Workhouse.

The only guess would be whether the baby went with her, ie she was able to provide at least some milk, or whether an attempt was made to feed the baby at home using a wet nurse.

Pamela

Pamela Report 12 Jul 2017 08:49

I would just like to see some original entries referring to either of them Thanks Pam