Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Still Births- Heyes

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Louise

Louise Report 24 Jul 2017 12:44

Im trying to look at a possible still birth in my family. It was just a conversation that has been passed down there are no records.
We believe its a girl born to John Albert Heyes 1894 and Florence Dwyer 1895
Mr Grandad was born in 1929 she may have been born after

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 24 Jul 2017 12:57

The stillbirth reg started in 1927 and isn't online

It's not an open register

malyon

malyon Report 24 Jul 2017 14:02

Births Dec 1929   (>99%)

HEYES
 Bernard
 Dwyer
 Haslingden
 8e

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 25 Jul 2017 12:41

Local church or cemetery burial records may record the burial of a stillborn child.

I have seen them recorded by surname and address, so it can be fairly easy to identify the correct family.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 25 Jul 2017 16:47

There is this death of a 2 year old in Haslingden:-

First name(s) BEATRICE
Last name HEYES
Gender Female
Birth day -
Birth month -
Birth year 1925
Age 2
Death quarter 1
Death year 1927
District Haslingden
County Lancashire
Volume 8E
Page 253
Country England
Record set England & Wales Deaths 1837-2007

However I can't seem to find a birth to match up with this death.

Sometimes family stories when they are passed down get changed and are not always very reliable.

Even after the stillbirth register started in 1927 many stillbirths wouldn't have been registered.

Kath. x

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 Jul 2017 19:19

Many still births are not even recorded ............. there was an attitude back then that a still birth was not a person. The mother would be encoruaged to forget about it. Often the midwife or husband just took the body away and never told the mother what had happened to it.

The body might just be added to the coffin of a complete stranger, and buried with no record kept in the Parish Register.

It's very sad, but that was the attitude for many years.

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 25 Jul 2017 22:24

When searching through burial records I've come across a burial record several times that has also included 'the stillbirth child of xxxxx ', obviously has been pout in the same coffin as a complete stranger.

Louise

Louise Report 8 Aug 2017 11:45

Thanks guys ill sill try hoping to find her

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 8 Aug 2017 11:51

I think this may be the birth to match the death that Kath found.

Births Jun 1924 (>99%)
Heyes Beatrice Asten Haslingden 8e 204

Dea

Dea Report 8 Aug 2017 15:29

I discounted this because of the area - Burnley but looking further I find that Florence was born in Burnley and probably still had family there at that time.

There is no mother's name mentioned but it might be worth contacting the cemetery to see if they have any further details on who is in that grave - you can give them the grave number from the record below.

Burial: 3 Oct 1927 Burnley Cemetery, Burnley, Lancashire, England
stillborn Hayes - child of John Hayes
Abode: Bank Hall Hospital
Grave: A17950
Notes: Buried in a Public Grave
Register: Burials 1926 - 1933, Page 66, Entry 97660
Source: Original Registers Book 13.

I think this birth was a few weeks before the marriage but she may have been staying with relatives for the birth?

Anyway, maybe worth a try?

Dea x