Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

William Dunn In Australia

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ellen

Ellen Report 19 Aug 2017 09:32

I have a William Henry Dunn born 8th October 1848 at Kew Victoria Australia, his parents were William Dunn ( a Tanner ) & Sarah Jones they never married.

I have all the information on William Henry to the present day , but haven't been able to find anything on his parents.
I seem to have hit a brickwall here not sure if anyone can pull it down or not, I have had great success from this site so you never know ;-)

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 19 Aug 2017 10:27

William Henry
Last name Dunn
Sex Male
Birth year 1849
Birth place Melbourne
Father's name William
Mother's name Sarah Jones
Registration number 16108
State Victoria
Country Australia
Record set Victoria Births
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Births & baptisms
Collections from Australasia
© Findmypast

Ellen

Ellen Report 19 Aug 2017 12:43

Thank you I have his birth details was hoping to find his father ( occupation Tanner ) or possibly his mother Sarah Jones they never married

malyon

malyon Report 19 Aug 2017 14:51

Sarah Jones
Australia, Victoria, Outward Passenger Lists
Name
Sarah Jones
Event Type
Emigration
Event Date
Event Place
Victoria, Australia
Birth Year (Estimated)
Marital Status
Single
Departure Place
Melbourne
Destination Place
Sydney
Affiliate Repository Type
Archive
Affiliate Identifier
VPRS 948

Ellen

Ellen Report 20 Aug 2017 08:10

Thank you Malyon, I do not think this is my Sarah Jones as she had a son in 1848 at Kew Victoria

Ellen

Ellen Report 20 Aug 2017 10:02

Just checked my records Sarah's son William Henry born 8/10/1848 left Victoria in 1874 for NZ on the "Alhambra" I would think that if Sarah had moved to NSW she would have taken her son with her, make me think that the Sarah Jone's who moved to NSW is not my Sarah Jones Thank you

Ellen

Ellen Report 21 Aug 2017 08:13

William Henry Dunn was Baptisted at St James Church in Bourke on the 20th January 1849 he is marked as Illegitimate

Ellen

Ellen Report 22 Aug 2017 12:52

I have a possibility on my William Dunn.
Has anyone access to Passenger Lists for the "Middlesex" that left Plymouth 11/6/1841 arrived in Port Philip Bay Australia 30/10/ 1841.There is a William Dunn aged 19 & a John Dunn aged 18 onboard & wondered if they are my Dunn family
Thank You

alviegal

alviegal Report 22 Aug 2017 14:39

Name: William Dunn
Estimated birth year: abt 1822
Arrival Date: 30 Sep 1841
Arrival Port: Port Phillip Bay, Australia
Departure Port: Plymouth
Ship: Middlesex
Nationality: Irish

From Kilkenny, he was a labourer and John was a shepherd.

Name: William Dunn
Birth Year: abt 1822
Arrival Date: 30 Sep 1841
Vessel Name: Middlesex

They were R Catholics and could both read and write. Seems they were to be farm servants and everyone had been imported by Messrs Thomas Cruscoe? and James. Everyone had a bounty of 19 attached to them.

So the Middlesex was first used as a convict ship. Can't find another instance of it being used again as one.

Middlesex Voyages to Australia

A barque of 418 tons new measurement, classed A1 at Lloyd’s. The ‘Middlesex’ had been launched at Sunderland 1839, and her maiden voyage was to Port Jackson, arriving - January 24, 1840.

Sailed on 6th July, 1839
Arrived 24th January, 1840 at New South Wales
Average sentence: 8 Years | Life sentences: 14 | Passengers: 192

Ellen

Ellen Report 25 Aug 2017 03:17

Thank you Alviegal for the above information, hoping these might be my Dunn's will look further