Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding Parents from Birth Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andrew

Andrew Report 10 Sep 2017 19:06

I'm looking into my family history, but dont know much past my grandparents and when i find their birth registration it only shows their mothers maiden name and not her first name or the name of the father, making it impossible for me to go any further in my search. I was wondering if i was looking in the right place or if there are other records i could be looking at to find these names?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Sep 2017 19:21

Hi Andrew.

If your grandparents are still alive ............. ask them for any information. Or ask your parents if they remember anyhting about a) their grandparents and b) names of any aunts, uncles, great aunts etc.

Do you know if your grandparents had any other siblings (your great aunts and / or uncles

We all use a free site to find births, marriages and deaths.

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/

Scroll down a little and click on Search

Use the information you collect from family members to fill out the details by using Freebmd

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 Sep 2017 19:27

Using the surnames look on freebmd for a marriage for the surname combination

If the names are hard to check because they are very common you may need to buy the birth cert to see parents names

Rambling

Rambling Report 10 Sep 2017 19:35

Welcome to the boards Andrew,

As Shirley and Sylvia have said freebmd is very useful, have a practice there finding things you already know, like your parents or grandparents births or marriage.

If you need help getting started give a few names and we'll have a look and tell you how to find the same info yourself.

:-)

Dea

Dea Report 10 Sep 2017 19:42

Hi Andrew,

Perhaps you would like to post your grandparents details on here (if they are deceased, or they would be happy for you to give their details on here). Tell us what you know about them, any brothers or sisters? their occupations? in fact, any little detail you might know - It all helps.

We can then see if we can work backwards for you and explain each step as to where and how we found the info.

Dea x

EDIT: - Sorry Nyx, I hadn't refreshed the page and now see that you have said the same thing above.