Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Michael Brennan

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sheila

Sheila Report 15 Oct 2017 17:43

Please can anyone help find the parents of Michael Brennan b 1882 Waterville Cahersiveen Ireland and married Norah (Hanoria)Casey b 1886 Kerry in 1909 R C Chapel of St Finians.
1911 census living at House 7 in Murreagh( Emlagh, Kerry).
Also did he have any brothers or sisters.
Thank you.
Sheila

Rambling

Rambling Report 15 Oct 2017 18:18

just for ref

Census Years1911KerryEmlaghMurreaghResidents of a house
Residents of a house 7 in Murreagh (Emlagh, Kerry)

Casey Patrick 70 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic Church
Casey Johanna 69 Female Wife Roman Catholic Church
Casey Timothy 24 Male Son Roman Catholic Church
Brennan Nora 26 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Church
Brennan Michael 29 Male Son in Law Roman Catholic Church
Brennan Hanoria 1 Female Grand Daughter Roman Catholic Church

greyghost

greyghost Report 15 Oct 2017 18:43

Party 1 Name MICHAEL BRENNAN
Party 2 Name HANORIA CASEY
Date of Event 04 November 1909
Group Registration ID 1962403
SR District/Reg Area Caherciveen

Married RC Chapel of St Finians, Registrar's District of Emlagh in the Union of Caherciveen, County Kerry

Michael Age 27 Bachelor. Coachman of Waterville. Father Michael

Honoria Age 25 Spinster. Of Murreigh? Father Patrick. Bride and groom both signed.

Witnesses - Daniel Sullivan and Honoria Sullivan

greyghost

greyghost Report 15 Oct 2017 18:49

Above and this from - https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords

3 Michael Brennan's 1880-1884 Caherciveen RD. This one has Father Michael. The other 2 are 1883 , one has Father john, the other only Mother named

Name MICHAEL BRENNAN
Date of Birth 1882
Group Registration ID 11903982
SR District/Reg Area Caherciveen
Sex N/R
Mother's Birth Surname N/R
Image -

Birth - 3 March 1882 at ?Dromkeare

Son of Michael Brennan and Bridget Brennan formerly Sullivan of Dromkeare.
Father a Carpenter

Birth registered by ? Honoria Sullivan present at the birth, made her mark - Residence ? Killagurheen

Superintendent Registrar's District - Caherciveen
Registrar's District - ? Darrymane
County Kerry

greyghost

greyghost Report 15 Oct 2017 18:56

The 1911 census posted by Nyx show Michael is a Coachman as per Marriage. Patrick and Timothy are both Labourers.

Michael and Nora have been married 2 years and had one child born who is still living.

Patrick and Johanna have been married 39 years with 11 children born of which 8 are still living

greyghost

greyghost Report 15 Oct 2017 19:05

??
1901 census
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie

Residents of a house 8 in Dromkeare (Loughcurrane, Kerry)
Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses
Brennan Michael 66 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic Co Kerry Salmon Fisherman Read and write Irish and English Widower -
Brennan Thomas 15 Male Son Roman Catholic Co Kerry Scholar Read and write Irish and English Not Married -
Brennan John 20 Male Son Roman Catholic Co Kerry Salmon Fisherman Read and write Irish and English Not Married -
Brennan Michael 18 Male Son Roman Catholic Co Kerry Salmon Fisherman Read and write Irish and English Not Married -

Sheila

Sheila Report 16 Oct 2017 17:28

Thanks Greyghost for the information I think you have got it right.
I am going to do more checking on the 1901 census for Dromkeare I have not heard of that place and I can not find it on the map ,maybe there are different spellings.
Thanks again.
Sheila.

greyghost

greyghost Report 16 Oct 2017 18:11

Google - Dromkeare, County Kerry - seems to come up Dromkeare, Waterville, Co. Kerry.

Michael stated to be of Waterville at marriage

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterville,_County_Kerry
The Butler family built a house at the mouth of the River Currane in the latter part of the 18th century. They named their house and estate Waterville. The village that developed on the estate during the first half of the 19th century was also named Waterville.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 16 Oct 2017 18:53

Sheila....Dromkeare (225 acres) is in the Barony of Iveragh and Civil Parish of Dromod borders Loughcurrane...easy to locate and to the east of it is Killagurteen....

Do you have the Grave photo for Michael Nora and son Michael.....buried St Finians Old and New Cemetery.....?

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 16 Oct 2017 19:48

Sheila....I have found a marriage of Michael Brennan and a Bridget Sullivan 28 Feb 1868 at the Church of Mary Immaculate Caherdaniel other than showing Michael is from Lohar and the witness was Con.Moran there is no other info. unfortunately the actual Church Reg.does not go further than Feb 18th !!..it apparently is so badly damaged.

Lohar is South of Corien (aka Waterville) heading towards Derrynane but actually in the RC Parish of Caherdaniel not Dromod.

These are some of the children of Michael and Bridget all of Dromkare

Mary. 9.April 1869 Godparents Dan Sullivan and Julia Fitzpatrick
Patrck 29 August 1871 ....James Morley and Mary Brennan
Johanna 17 February 1877....Martin and Gobnet Sullivan
John 25 June 1879....Tom Kelly and Margaret Sullivan

As you can see there is a large gap in years 71-79

I cannot confirm the marriage is that of your Michael and Bridget just a possibility.

Sheila

Sheila Report 17 Oct 2017 19:58

Sorry for not getting back to you before.
Thank you all so much you have been a great help with all the information.
I have now been able to find the place on the map.

Once again thank you all .
Sheila

Sheila

Sheila Report 19 Oct 2017 10:28

To Eringobragh1916.

I do not have the Grave photo of Michael Nora and son Michael.
I have tried on Find a Grave but no luck .
Please do you know where I could find it.
Thank you.
Sheila.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 19 Oct 2017 18:37

Sheila I will send you the link via a personal messge...it is to long to go on here and I have no idea how to shorten it.....Let me know if it comes through okay...

Sheila

Sheila Report 19 Oct 2017 19:51

Thanks Erin .
I have received you email I will try tomorrow .
Best wishes.
Sheila

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 19 Oct 2017 20:07

Sheila...I will try also and see if I cannot get in via another link...I have it in my "history" but it still isn't having any of it....
It is a copyright site but that should not be the problem also I cannot open any other related sites..

As an aside..below Michael jnrs Birth is one for a Michael Dowling parents Thomas Dowling and Margaret Sullivan..present at Birth Honoria Sullivan Killagurheen..imagine that is Brids sister now a Dowling and her mother Honoria.