Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Albert Keen or Bolton

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Amy

Amy Report 2 Nov 2017 11:53

I have managed to trace my father & his family thanks to all you lovely people on Genes Reunited.
However, I have a few missing years of my father's live that I can't trace & am wondering if anyone out there might know where he was from 1930 to 1938. Any information would be really good.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 2 Nov 2017 11:56

We don't have the info you have on his parentage etc so you need to give some info

You say genes members have helped so this suggests you have another thread about him that may help

There's no online records for the years you are looking at .unless he was on some electoral rolls that may have been transcribed

Amy

Amy Report 2 Nov 2017 12:57

My father being Albert Keen or possible Bolton his parents were Mark Keen & Ann Bolton. Ann married Mark after Albert was born in 1886.

Rambling

Rambling Report 2 Nov 2017 13:06

Just to avoid going back to the other thread which was very long and concerned mainly ( I think from a quick glance) with Albert's sister https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1354915?d=asc&page=0

here is the family as posted on thread by Eringobragh

Eringobragh1916 Report 15 Sep 2015 13:09
Is This the family living Yardley in 1901.?

Mark Keen Head M 34 Fritwell, Oxfordshire
Anni Elizabeth Keen Wife F 34 Steeple Aston, Oxfordshire
Albert Keen Son M 14 Steeple Aston, Oxfordshire
Beatrice Keen Daughter F 13 Fritwell, Oxfordshire
Spencer Keen Son M 11 Bicester, Oxfordshire
Florence Keen Daughter F 10 Fritwell, Oxfordshire
Rosa Keen Daughter F 9 Fritwell, Oxfordshire
Ethel Keen Daughter F 7 Fritwell, Oxfordshire
William Keen Son M 2 Acocks Green, Worcestershire

Marriages Sep 1886
Bolton Annie Elizabeth Bicester 3a 1169
Keen Mark Bicester 3a 1169

Rambling

Rambling Report 2 Nov 2017 13:12

I think it would be better to continue on the other thread as i see there is a possible first marriage being discussed which would place where Albert might be?

Amy just click on the link to the other thread and continue there?

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 2 Nov 2017 16:57

Not sure where to post (the other thread is rather long and confusing), but for reference- he may have also been known as Alfred. The 1939 register shows that the name 'Albert' was replaced by 'Alfred' in 1945:

Bolton Household (5 People) No 3 Walters Bungalow , Wareham and Purbeck R.D., Dorset, England

Albert E (Alfred) Bolton 21 Jun 1886 Male Textile Engineer Married
Sorry, this record is officially closed. Check if you can open a closed record.
Amy E Bolton 14 May 1909 Female Cafe Work Married
Ernest A Thacker 14 Jun 1885 Male Cafe Work Married
Edith G Thacker 25 Jul 1891 Female Cafe Work Married

Rambling

Rambling Report 2 Nov 2017 17:14

Susan posted on the other thread

"Hello Amy,
My husbands late mother was Phyliss Keen. Her father was Albert Edward Keen. Her mother being Emily Dumbleton. She was one of 11 children. The Grandfather was Mark Keen, the Grandmother was Annie Elizabeth Bolton. This is the family you have been looking at. "

Last child was David R born 1930 ( freebmd) His birth cert may give home address so you might then be able to find electoral rolls for Albert ?

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 2 Nov 2017 17:33

So this is Emily 1939:

Keen Household (5 People) 21 Lyttelton Road , Warwick M.B., Warwickshire, England

Emily Keen 13 Sep 1886 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married
Marjorie R Donaldson (Keen) 17 May 1917 Female Acetylene Welder Single
Sorry, this record is officially closed. Check if you can open a closed record.
John H Keen 19 Nov 1925 Male At School Single
David R Keen 21 Feb 1930 Male At School Single

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 2 Nov 2017 17:48

Are we certain that the Albert that married Emily is the same Albert that married Amy in 1938?

Warwick and Warwickshire Advertiser - Saturday 31 May 1919

PAINFUL ASSAULT CASE.
At Warwick yesterday (Friday) before Mr. W. Coltart (in the choir), and Messrs. Lloyd Evans. W. T. Collier. W. H. Austin, and A. Tandy, the adjourned case of Albert Keen, milk dealer. Market-street, who was summoned by his wife, Emily Keen, for assault was heard. Mrs Keen said she had been married fouteen Years and she had six ,children, the eldest being fourteen years. The children were all living at home, and on Wednesday witness wanted to go on the milk round to save her little daughter from doing so as she had other work to do. Defendant seemed determined to make the girl on the round, and was very angry because witness wanted to go. Mrs. Goodwin was living with the family, and defendant seemed very fascinated with her. When witness returned from the milk round defendant struck her violently in the eye, and also made her face bleed. She did not think that he struck her with any Instrument, but with his fist twice. Defendant lodged with Mrs. Goodwill at Coventry for about nine months, after which she set him up in business in Warwick and came to live with them. The woman sometimes looks after the shop, does her own washing, and cleans her own room. She did not come to live with them with witness’s consent to approval. Defendant has given witness several hidings; in fact they had lived miserable life for the past three years. When defendant struck her on Wednesday she tried to rush out of the house but had locked the door. He said to her, "Why did you go out on the round?’’and she replied " For the sake of my child." She had her infant child in her arms when her husband struck her.

Mrs. Catherine Timms. 21. Market-street, said she was in her garden talking to a neighbour when she heard Mrs. Keen scream and heard defendant say that he would give her something to well go on with, and have her turned out of the house. Mrs. Keen then came out of the house with baby in her arms and then defendant loosed her. Complainant came to her window and showed her the black eye, and blood was running down her face. Witness had been intimate neighbour of Mrs. Keen for about six months, and she had come into her house on several occasions when defendant had been assaulting her.

Keen, who pleaded guilty, said was very sorry for what he had done. Mrs. Goodwin was drawing 30s. for her share in the business. His wife had not objected to her presence, but he had been opposed to his wife’s friendship for Mrs. Timms, which had caused trouble. The Bench pointed out that it was not necessary for Mrs. Goodwin to live in the house and cause trouble. They thought that a very serious assault had been committed, and in order that they might decide what should be done to mark their sense of the offence, the accused would be remanded on bail for week and also bound over in meantime to keep the peace towards his wife. In the interval he ought to got rid of the woman.

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 2 Nov 2017 18:10

A couple of the later articles:

Leamington Spa Courier - Friday 26 October 1928

Separation and Maintenance Orders were made against Albert Keen, 6, Coleshill Road. Sutton Coldfield, at Warwick Borough Police Court Monday. Mrs. Emily Keen, 10, Bowling Green Street, who made the application against her husband, said they were married in 1904 and had four children under the age of 16. Her husband left her in 1922 when he sold his business. Defendant said he was out of work and had been ill for some time.—Mrs. Keen admitted that he had sent her small sums of money. The separation order was granted, together with a maintenance order of 30s. a week.
--------------------------------------------

Warwick and Warwickshire Advertiser - Saturday 19 January 1929

A Wife’s Maintenance.—The adjourned hearing took place of a summons against Albert Keen, 16, Coleshill-road, Sutton Coldfield, for being arrears with a maintenance order made against him in respect of his wife. Emily Keen. 10. Bowling Green-street, Warwick.—Defendant told the magistrates he was expecting to enter a sanatorium for treatment within a week or two. Whenever he had had any money, he said, he had given it to his wife.—The Mayor: You carefully kept your address away from her for several years, and it was only by luck she found out where you were.—Defendant: I have not done it purposely. have not had anything to give her.—The Mayor: You have lived, and your wife has had to struggle to bring up your family. —The magistrates further adjourned the case for two months.—Mrs. Keen asked if she could not obtain some relief for her children, and the Mayor suggested she should see the Relieving Officer.—Mr. P. Coy, who happened to be in court, said that any relief which might granted would be by way of loan to the bus-

Amy

Amy Report 7 Nov 2017 14:54

This is definitely who I am looking for. Been trying to trace what happen to Albert Keen from 1929 to 1938. Any information on this would be appreciated. He has lived under several names ie: Keen, Bolton, Bolton-Thacker, there might even be more. The Christian names seem to vary as well. Sometimes Albert, or Albert Edward or Albert Ernest and even Alfred. There is so much missing. This man was my father and he had many horrible sides to him. Whilst he was living in Dorset with my mother there was an Edith Thacker living with him as well. They owned the Beehive café at Bovington Camp during and after the war years.

Rambling

Rambling Report 7 Nov 2017 16:18

There's not many records online for that period, so maybe it might be an idea to follow up on the addresses given in the news items? You could try for instance finding out where the erolls are held and see if you can find out who was living with Albert when he was living at 6 or 16, Coleshill-road, Sutton Coldfield ?