Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestors of the Reverend Francis Makemie

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 26 Jan 2018 19:42

I am looking for any information regarding the ancestors of the Rev. Francis Makemie. He was born in or near Ramelton, Co. Donegal, Ireland in 1658. He was ordained as a Presbyterian Minister by the Prebytery of Laggan and was called to the colonies to spread the Gospel. He died in 1708 in Virginia.

Francis did not have any male heirs to pass the name down, his two daughters, Elizabeth and Anne never had any children. According to research he had three siblings; Robert, John, and Anne. Robert and John came to the colonies, my lineage is out of John. Anne stayed in Ireland, married a ‘Boggs’ and one of their sons, William, came to the colonies to join his uncles.

I have only bits and scraps of information regarding their father. According to some here in the states their father’s name was Robert with his surname being spelled in a variety of ways.

Any help regarding the ancestors of these fine folks I would be most appreciative. Thanks...

David

Rambling

Rambling Report 26 Jan 2018 19:52

Lots about him when you google, but nothing to definitively confirm his ancestors

"Early and Family Life
Makemie was born into the Ulster-Scots community in Ramelton, County Donegal, part of the Province of Ulster in the north of Ireland. He attended Glasgow University, where he underwent a religious conversion. He went on to become a clergyman and be ordained by the Presbytery of Laggan, in West Ulster, in 1681.[1]"

So looks like you might be looking for his Ancestry in Scotland?

His will is here:
https://tinyurl.com/y8rjp7q7

David

David Report 26 Jan 2018 20:30

Thank you for the reply and yes, everything I’ve read, seen, and researched says that his father Robert (according to researchers) came from Scotland to Ulster sometime after King James opened the plantation up. Where in Scotland the family came from I don’t have an ‘official’ clue. Some say from around the Inverness area, some say just west and south of Glasgow. Some say we are a sept of the Clan Fraser, some say Clan Stewart. The fun of family geneology!

Thank you again for the information, it is very much appreciated!

David

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 26 Jan 2018 21:06

at Snow Hill from an early date
until 1698. He afterward settled at Hoarkill, now
Lewes, in Delaware. The Rev. Mr. Makemie mar-
ried a lady of wealth in 1690 and settled in Accomac

1 Rev. William Hill, in his History of American Presbyterianism
(Washington City, 1839) pp. 162-163, doubts a Scotch origin for
all of the seven members of the first presbytery. Mackemie,
Hampton and McNish, he agrees, Were Irish,

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 26 Jan 2018 21:30

David...This Presbyterian Heritage Trail map gives some detail and there is a Blue Plaque in the Old Meeting House relating to Francis....

http://www.ancestryireland.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Presb-Trail-Map-Part-2.pdf

https://www.londonderrysentinel.co.uk/news/the-amazing-story-of-francis-makemie-a-ramelton-man-and-the-founder-of-american-dissent-1-5195782

David

David Report 26 Jan 2018 23:58

Eringobragh,

I had the great pleasure of traveling to Co. Donegal this past October, my first trip to Ireland. Spent 10 days driving around and got to visit the Ulster American Centre, Monreagh Centre, Ramelton, Rathmullan, down to Donegal Town and all points in between. Every place I visited was like I was coming home. Most wonderful, and most importantly, to me was how warm, genuine, kind, and welcoming the Irish people are. There are not enough words to express how beautiful of spirit and considerate everyone was to me.

I did get to Ramelton and visit the Old Meeting House but unfortunately no one was there to open. Still I had a wonderful time throughout the whole trip. In fact the only time I had a negative experience was when I got caught up in a nest of American tourist on a group tour... plum embarrassing as we say in the south.

Thank you for your kind response and the information, every little bit helps!

Best to you,

David

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 27 Jan 2018 09:57

David.
I am so pleased you enjoyed your visit "Home" and found the "Hundred Thousand Welcomes" awaiting you.

I have found only one reference so far to Makemy/variations of the surname..
Found a Robert Makemy in the Hearth Tax of the Parish of Killigarven 1663.I have trawled records before that date and the surname does not appear so this Robert may well be Francis'father

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 27 Jan 2018 11:43

Another Ref. also spelling variation of Surname....

Extracted from In the Days of the Laggan Presbytery – Rev. Alexander G. Lecky

(Davidson & McCormack, Belfast, 1908)

Ruling Elders (Rathmelton)

M'KEMY Francis
M'KEMY Robert

Surname Boggs also mentioned would this be related to Francis' sister Anne do you think..?
BOGGs Andrew
BOGGS John

David

David Report 28 Jan 2018 04:17

Eringobragh,

I'll have to search that particular source, thank you so much!

Don't know where in the line, if anywhere, those particular two M'Kemy's would be. Don't know if the Francis is the Rev. Francis and Robert his brother or maybe father... but it's more than I had before you sent it.

From what researchers have Anne married a William Boggs. It is their son William who joined his uncles in the colonies. Perhaps this Andrew and John were William's brothers...? I'll keep digging.

Thanks again for the leads. These will add more information to ferret out indeed!

Do take care and best regards,

David