Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find father's ancestry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ti

Ti Report 30 Mar 2018 23:17

I am looking for ancestors of an Evan John Davies who was born on 19 June 1923 in Tonypandy, Glamorgan, Wales. My friends belief is that is he had a Spanish mother who he never spoke of and all other living siblings have since died. She has hardly anyhting to go on about his early life, except to add his date of death was August 2000 in Darlington. We've trawled Ancestry and genes reunited and there seems to be no record of him... we were trying to search under mother's maiden name too to no avail wondering if anyone can advse us on how to get any further on this? Thanks very much :-) We don't know the maiden name of his mother just to clarify... just that she was Spanish

Rambling

Rambling Report 30 Mar 2018 23:23

According to death reg birth year was 1921?

England & Wales deaths 1837-2007 Transcription
Print Add to tree
First name(s) EVAN JOHN
Last name DAVIES
Gender Male
Birth day 17
Birth month 6
Birth year 1921
Age -
Death quarter 3
Death year 2000
District Darlington
District number 4361B
Register number B62E
Entry number 286
Date of registration mm/yy 0800
County Durham
Country England
Record set England & Wales Deaths 1837-2007
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Civil Deaths & Burials
Collections from Great Britain, England

Ti

Ti Report 30 Mar 2018 23:29

You are correct on this, thanks very much, she said she got his birth date wrong! You're not able to direct me as to how to find out anything out after this are you at all. Thanks very much for this!

Ti

Ti Report 30 Mar 2018 23:30

she's really interested in the possible Spanish connection

Rambling

Rambling Report 30 Mar 2018 23:31

If that birth date is correct, this is the most likely birth, right quarter and location. Do you have any details of his father at all? from Evan's marriage cert, assuming he married?

Births Sep 1921 (>99%)
Davies Evan J Davies Pontypridd 11a 1398

Rambling

Rambling Report 30 Mar 2018 23:35

Do you have names for his siblings please?

Ti

Ti Report 30 Mar 2018 23:39

Thanks very much x No marriage certificate unfortunately, everythng was lost in a fire! is a bt of a nightmare for her as she has absolutely nothing to go on really. I know sometimes the mothers maiden name is written down, i thought this might be a start.

Rambling

Rambling Report 30 Mar 2018 23:43

Is it known who Evan married?

Just for ref searching without the surname there are no births ( on freebmd) for an Evan J with a name that sounds Spanish.

Ti

Ti Report 30 Mar 2018 23:43

i will ask names on sibling tomorrow thanks, though i think she is sketchy on this too. Thanks very much for your help, its really appreciated

Ti

Ti Report 30 Mar 2018 23:45

I will find out tomorrow from her, thanks again.

Ti

Ti Report 31 Mar 2018 15:54

Hi Just found out my friend Dawn's dad never married her mum, so there would b no marriage certificate unfortunately x

Rambling

Rambling Report 31 Mar 2018 16:34

Pity. If your friend has any idea of siblings names it might help locate them on the 1939 register, Davies is not the easiest of names! :-)

Ti

Ti Report 31 Mar 2018 21:23

Haha I know. I will ask her on siblings x

Ti

Ti Report 1 Apr 2018 13:02

Hi the Nyx, would you be able to tell me where I can find the 1939 register? She doesnt have any information on her dads siblings, just that he had some but no idea whether younger or older

Ti

Ti Report 1 Apr 2018 13:02

Hi the Nyx, would you be able to tell me where I can find the 1939 register? She doesnt have any information on her dads siblings, just that he had some but no idea whether younger or older

Rambling

Rambling Report 1 Apr 2018 13:11

The 1939 register is on the Findmypast website, I have access if that helps , but be aware that Evan probably won't be showing on it as he was born after 1915 and died after 1991 , more recent deaths are being opened as they are cross checked with births.

Ti

Ti Report 1 Apr 2018 13:45

Seems like we'll be out of luck then! Thanks very much for your help so far x

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 1 Apr 2018 15:12

Depending how keen Dawn is to pursue the matter, she might feel it worth buying a copy of that 1921 birth record posted by Nyx, just in case it's the right one.

The mother of that child was either a Davies who had married a Davies, or else she was an unmarried Davies. If it's the correct birth, her full name MIGHT give some clue re the Spanish angle - or might not.

If there's any truth in the Spanish story, there are several speculative scenarios -

Evan's mother may have had Spanish ancestry, but not a Spanish surname herself, and perhaps either she or Evan liked to emphasise that.

Or maybe she had a Spanish-sounding first name, and liked to pretend she was Spanish.

Or maybe Evan never knew his mother, for whatever reason, and he invented an exotic one for himself.

Thinking he was maybe adopted, and born with another surname - but there are no Pontypridd births of boys of any surname in either the June or Sept quarters of 1921 with Spanish-sounding mms.

All speculation, and absolutely no practical help, I'm afraid!
It's a pity the siblings' names aren't known.

Ti

Ti Report 1 Apr 2018 19:17

Very interesting speculation though... Thanks very much. I couldn't find any evidence either of any Spanish sounding names! Still waiting to hear whether siblings names are known. I will also tell Dawn about advice and info from you both re the 1921 birth record. Thank you again.

Ti

Ti Report 3 Apr 2018 12:39

Hi there... there is no information regarding his siblings so looking unlikely we will find anything. Thanks all for your help and discoveries x