Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Information on Thomas William Joseph Howard

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kemrl5

Kemrl5 Report 2 Apr 2018 14:59

Hello,

I’m researching my 3x great grandfather, Thomas William Joseph Howard who was born in Newcastle upon Tyne in 1873.

His parents were Thomas Howard (a watchmaker, born in 1840 in Newcastle) and Margaret Gilchrist (born about 1838 in Edinburgh).

He had 5 siblings:
-John Thomas (b.1865)
-Robert Forster (b.1866)
-Margaret Ann (b.1869)
-Mary Elizabeth (b.1871)
-John (b.1877)

He married Sarah Jane Benson on 14 May 1894 in Gateshead, Durham and they had two children: Margaret Elizabeth (b.1894) and Cyril (b.1898). Both were born in South Shields, Durham.

Thomas died in 1944 in County Durham.

Thomas was a Driver in the 1st Northumbrian Brigade (later renamed the 250th Brigade), Royal Field Artillery. His service numbers were 1290 and 750342.

He was awarded the Silver War Badge in 1917.

It looks like he might have lied about his age when he enlisted as his service record states his age in 1914 as 34 when actually he would have been about 41.

I have looked through the available census and WW1 records available for him on the major subscription websites and have also searched through online newspapers for him.

I’m trying to find anyone who has any information on him or his family (including any photographs/letters/postcards) especially during the First World War.

Any information would be appreciated,

Thank you

safc

safc Report 2 Apr 2018 15:03

1881 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
House & Watch Shop, 59, Askew Road, Gateshead, Durham, England

Learn more
Print View image Add to tree
Household Members
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Age Birth year Birth place Occupation
Thomas Howard Head Married Male 40 1841 Newcastle on Tyne, Northumberland, England Watchmaker
Transcription
Margaret Howard Wife Married Female 42 1839 Scotland -
Transcription
Robert F Howard Son Single Male 14 1867 Newcastle on Tyne, Northumberland, England Appt Watchmaker
Transcription
Margaret A Howard Daughter Single Female 12 1869 Newcastle on Tyne, Northumberland, England Scholar
Transcription
Mary E Howard Daughter Single Female 9 1872 Newcastle on Tyne, Northumberland, England Scholar
Transcription
Thomas W J Howard Son Single Male 7 1874 Newcastle on Tyne, Northumberland, England Scholar
Transcription
John Howard Son Single Male 4 1877 Gateshead, Durham, England -

safc

safc Report 2 Apr 2018 15:05

1891 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Askew Road, Gateshead, Durham, England

Learn more
Print View image Add to tree
Household Members
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Age Birth year Birth place Occupation
Thomas Howard Head Married Male 50 1841 - Watchmaker & Jeweller
Transcription
Margaret Howard Wife Married Female 52 1839 Scotland -
Transcription
Margaret Ann Howard Daughter Single Female 22 1869 - Milliner
Transcription
Mary Elizabeth Howard Daughter Single Female 19 1872 - Drapers Shop Assistant
Transcription
Thomas Wm Joseph Howard Son - Male 17 1874 - Apprentice Boot Trade
Transcription
John Howard Son - Male 14 1877 Durham, England Assistant Boot Trade
Transcription
Ann Howard Mother Widow Female 80 1811 Washington, Durham, England Living On Own Means

Kemrl5

Kemrl5 Report 2 Apr 2018 15:15

Thank you for getting back so quickly! I should have made it clearer that I have found all the census returns in which Thomas is on so I have these details already.
If there's anything else that you have I would be very interested.
Thanks

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 3 Apr 2018 10:07

It is probable that only someone related would have the sort of info you're looking for. Have you checked in search trees to see if anyone else on here is researching him?