Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

missing brother

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Apr 2018 17:16

I was told by my Mother that she had a child on 19th March 1931/32 by the name of Thomas (Tommy) Cochran or Grady in a home for unmarried mothers somewhere in/near Glasgow, Scotland. She was told that the child had died (age 3 - 6 months) and that she didn't need to worry about the funeral etc as 'they' would attend to it. I feel that the child may have been adopted or sent elsewhere? I have been unable to find any birth or death certificate, and have been looking for years. Can anyone help?

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 5 Apr 2018 17:38

If your mother was unmarried, the birth would be registered using her maiden surname. Even if the father was present, the birth would be indexed under both the mother's and father's surnames.

malyon

malyon Report 5 Apr 2018 17:41

have you looked in the scotland bdm website

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Rambling

Rambling Report 5 Apr 2018 17:48

From the index on ScotlandsPeople

Surname Forename Gender Year Ref RD Name Image View
COCHRAN
THOMAS
M
644/16 407
Govanhill

Not seeing a death.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 5 Apr 2018 17:55

There is a possible death in 1991 for the above birth but the mmn is Stewart.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 5 Apr 2018 18:08

It may be worth contacting Scotlandspeople as I'm not sure that births of adopted children show on the indexes under their registered birth name.

greyghost

greyghost Report 5 Apr 2018 18:12

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

You need to register but can then search for free. There is a 1932 birth showing under Cochran in Govanhill RD.

As the birth is less than 100 years ago you will need to order the certificate through the site, the option is there when you find the search result.

Whether any of the marriages are the same person you can't tell without purchasing certificates.

Only 1 death shows - in 1991, but of a man aged 60 (registration details only as good as informant knows), so could still be alive, or name was changed and he died under that name or no longer in country.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 5 Apr 2018 21:34

I don't think that Govanhill birth is the correct one. I think he is the son of a couple that married in the early 1920s in Hutchesontown.

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Apr 2018 22:39

Thank you. I had bought a birth certificate but it wasn’t th right one. It becomes expensive......
Regards
Anne

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Apr 2018 09:29

Just a thought if the baby died in its early months did she have the baby and then leave it at the home for adoption

Would have thought if the little one was adopted then the new parents would arrange the funeral

Would a mother and baby home keep a newborn but release the mum ??

PatW

PatW Report 6 Apr 2018 15:33

There used to be a Church of England unmarried mothers home in Blackpool during the 1950s. When the baby was 6 weeks old the odoptive parents or adoptive Society could call and collect the baby or the mother could take the baby to Liverpool and the adoptive parents would collect from there. The home never kept the baby and sent the mother home.

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Apr 2018 16:01

Thank you all so much for your help. I have now found the birth and death certs of my missing brother, after many years of searching.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 6 Apr 2018 17:42

Are you just assuming that the Govanhill birth and the 1991 death are the correct ones, or have you found your brother's details somewhere else?

As RG pointed out, the mother of the man who died in 1991 had the maiden surname Stewart.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 6 Apr 2018 18:41

PM from Anne:

No, that is not the one, but I have found the correct birth and death certs, so thank you for your help.
Kind regards
Anne

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 6 Apr 2018 19:49

Just to let the other helpers, Tommy was a middle name for the child. I thought I was, perhaps, clutching at straws when I found a possible death at less than a year old but with a different first name. I sent it to Anne by PM but wasn't too hopeful. Anne download that death entry and found that it was, indeed, her brother.

A satisfactory, although sad, outcome.