Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Your Thoughts/Input please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Blue1

Blue1 Report 6 Apr 2018 13:01

Hi
I have questions regarding a pair of my ancestors and would like some one else's thoughts on the couple please.

I have a Thomas Kiddle born abt 1707 marrying a Dorothy Kiddle in Godmanstone,Dorset in 1729.

I have been on the Dorset OPC and have found the marriages page for the parish.
There are five Kiddle marriages in the time span of Thomas and Dorothy.
Three of the marriages are by Kiddle men from other parishes by Licence.
The other two are Thomas and Dorothy, no other parish mentioned and a William Payne and an Elizabeth Kiddle no other parish mentioned in 1730.

I have looked in the burials and baps on the Godmanstone page of the Dorset OPC and can't find any baps or burials for Kiddles in this parish!
So to me it looks like these Kiddles did not come from Godmanstone.

My Thomas lived and was buried in Piddletrenthide.
I have found a baptism for a Thomas Kiddle in 1707 parents John and Hannah in Sydling, the problem with this link is that Thomas is not mentioned in the Wills of what would be his Grandfathers etc.

I can't find a Bap for Dorothy Kiddle anywhere in Dorset or Somerset at all

Do you think Thomas and Dorothy were too closely related maybe for their families to be happy about it? hence no mention in Wills
Did people have to be born in the Parish to be of the Parish or just work there?

Also maybe Dorothy and Elizabeth Kiddle who married a year apart were sisters?

I have no idea of how to progress and I'm really sorry for babbling away with all this.

Any input at all about any thing here would be appreciated

Also I'm going to Dorset this weekend and may have a chance to visit the FHS in Sherborne,however what should I be looking for please?

Thanks

Cathie

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Apr 2018 13:15

To be 'of the Parish' meant that the person lived there at the time

Blue1

Blue1 Report 6 Apr 2018 13:17

Thanks ErikH,

I did think that just wanted to confirm

Cathie

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Apr 2018 13:30

For our info - is this the administration of the Will of 'your' Thomas? Mentions his 'lawful daughter' Susannah Kiddle

Name: Thomas Kiddle
Residence Date: 29 Nov 1774
Residence Place: Piddletrenthide, Dorset
Event Type: Administration
Probate Court: Dorset Archdeaconry
Reference Number: Ad/Dt/A/1774
Event Record Number: 20

Blue1

Blue1 Report 6 Apr 2018 13:39

Thanks again ErikaH,

I had forgotten that I had that info ,so maybe the Will it self will be available at the FHS I'll put that on my list.

It's really Thomas and Dorothy's life before their marriage that I'm trying to get to grips with at the moment. No sure the OH will be happy about me and the FHS but he will have to find something else to do. It's not somewhere I can get to easily

Cathie

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Apr 2018 13:48

The Will is online on Ancestry website

Blue1

Blue1 Report 6 Apr 2018 13:51

Hi Thanks Erikah,

Where did you find the Will? I can only find the Probate

Cathie

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Apr 2018 13:56

Actually, looking again, it probably is just the Probate - must confess I didn't examine it as carefully as I perhaps might have. I was distracted by a doorbell ringing!

Blue1

Blue1 Report 6 Apr 2018 13:59

Ok,

But thanks for jogging my memory as I shall be asking at the FHS about the Will and if they don't have it they might know who does,so that will be 100% more new info than I have at the mo

Thanks
Cathie

Blue1

Blue1 Report 6 Apr 2018 14:47

I will be leaving for Dorset tomorrow morning and will check in to see if any one has had any thoughts

Thanks
Cathie

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 6 Apr 2018 16:38

Is the centre open and in the town you expect it to be?

http://www.sherbornedorset.co.uk/whats-on/clubs-associations/family-history-society/

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 6 Apr 2018 17:03

Burial (if one matching Will)...

1773 Thomas KIDDLE buried Dec-11

Chris :)

http://www.opcdorset.org/index.htm

(Parish of
Piddletrenthide
BURIALS 1731 - 1812)

Blue1

Blue1 Report 6 Apr 2018 17:03

Hi Gwyn,

funny you should ask that. I was expecting the centre to be in Sherborne but on checking opening times I've found that they have moved to Yeovil which is Ok as I'll just book a B&B there.

Thanks for the link

Cathie

Blue1

Blue1 Report 6 Apr 2018 17:17

Hi Chris Ho,

Thanks. I do have Thomas and I think that Dorothy his wife is also in this record buried 1763. It seems that the Elizabeth Kiddle and her husband William Payne also lived in Piddletrenthide and were buried together at the same time.
I really think that Dorothy and Elizabeth were sisters.

Many of the Kiddle's who are mentioned in the Wills I wrote about are also Yeoman in Piddletrenthide and are buried in the Church yard there.

I do think that Thomas was Baptised in Sydling along with all the others to John and Hanna, but until I can prove it I can't add them in, which is a shame.

Cathie