Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Militery Alexander Liddle

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sylann

Sylann Report 10 Aug 2018 16:43

I have a Alexander Liddle Private 3224 57 Foot (West Middlesex) severe wounds minor action in Sebastopol 24 Aug 1855
Think it was the Crimean war

Can any one check for this person please and see if their are anymore details I have so many Alexander Liddle's in my tree and yet I seem to find the ones that fit but aren't the right ones an age would help

Thank you

Andrew

Andrew Report 10 Aug 2018 17:35

UK, Military Campaign Medal and Award Rolls, 1793-1949

Name: Alexander Liddle
Service Date: 1854-1855
Service Place: Crimea
Campaign or Service: Crimean War
Regiment or Unit Name: 57th Regiment of Foot
Regimental Number: ??24

Sylann

Sylann Report 10 Aug 2018 17:47

Thank you I was hoping for more info think he died 1855 hoping it might have said how old he was or next of kin

greyghost

greyghost Report 10 Aug 2018 17:56

Crimean War casualties 1853-1856 Transcription
Learn more

Print Add to tree
First name(s) Alexander
Last name Liddle
Year 1855
Date 24/08/1855
London Gazette 07/09/1855
Action, etc. The Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth and Final Bombardments of Sebastopol & Minor Actions
Casualty Severely wounded
Soldier number 3224
Rank Pte.
Unit or regiment 57 Regiment Of Foot
War Crimean War
Country Great Britain
Record set Crimean War Casualties 1853-1856
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Subcategory Other wars & conflicts
Collections from Great Britain, UK None
Naval & Military Press

Transcriptions © Naval & Military Press

----------------
About Crimean War casualties 1853-1856
What can these records tell me?
The Crimean War lasted from October 1853 to February 1856. The conflict was fought between the Russian Empire and Britain, France, Sardinia, and the Ottoman Empire. There were several motivations behind the war including the decline of the Ottoman Empire, the rights of Christian minorities in the Holy Land, and Britain and France’s reluctance for Russia to gain any additional territory.

The allied forces against the Russian Empire were 603,132 strong. However, the Russian Empire had a total of 889,000. Despite the larger force, the Russian’s suffered greater casualties:

Russian Empire – 450,125 casualties

British Empire – 22,182

French Empire – 95,615

Ottoman Empire – 45,400

Kingdom of Sardinia – 2,166

It is worth noting that the majority of deaths were not a result of combat but rather that of disease. For example, 2,755 of the British Empire’s force were killed in action compared to the 17,580 who died of disease.

Each result will provide you with a transcript of all or some of the following details:

First name(s)
Last name
Year
Date
London Gazette
Action, etc.
Casualty
Soldier number
Rank
Unit or regiment
War
Country
Records provided by Naval & Military Press.