Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with German ancestry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 6 Nov 2018 11:12

Is there anyone who is able to help me withe more information on the following:

Johan Christian Heinrich RÜHL (name as known in Germany)
Jan Stoffer RUULS (name as known in Netherlands)

Born: abt 1763 Lübtheen, Mecklenburg-voor-Pommeren, Ludwigslust, Germany
Married: 8 Jan 1793 Groningen, Netherlands to Jantje Boelens HAMMINGA
Died: 2 Apr 1839 Haren, Groningen, Netherlands

Johan/Jan was a labourer. I'm wondering if he was one of the many German immigrant workers called 'hannekemaaiers' in Dutch. They used to walk to The Netherlands and partake in season work on the land. Many ended up living in The Netherlands permanently. Or maybe Johan/Jan came to The Netherlands for other reasons???

Parents - both of whom lived in Lübtheen, Mecklenburg-voor-Pommeren, Ludwigslust, Germany:

Heinrich RÜHL
Juliana Christina RUMPEN

I have the descendants of Johan/Jan and Jantje, however I'm trying to trace Johan/Jan's family further back.

Is there anyone 'on the ground' in Lübtheen (or elsewhere in Germany) who may be able to trace more information on this family via parish and/or church records?

Many thanks to anyone who is able to assist.

Regards,
Rebecca

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Nov 2018 11:54

You've done very well to get so far back with Continental Relatives. Most of the Genes members are more familiar with Anglo resources.

Have you tried contacting a historical group in the area?
https://www.cyndislist.com/uk/ is a good place to start - its a portal for FH research & lists many links to other organisations. Some may be new to you.

Is there an Anglo/German FH society in the UK or are you already in contact with them? How about this one?
http://www.agfhs.org/site/index.php

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Nov 2018 14:37

My paternal grandfather was German
His came with his family to the uk before 1889 when another brother was born in Bradford

Have never been able to find where the family came from as they didn't take naturalisation.
They disapear after 1901 except for grt grandparents & grandfather and one brother
Both died as did the mother
Mother in 1907. She was living with her hubby with one son who also died early1911

Grandfather also died June 1911

Didn't find the Anglo German soc any help at all
All they wanted was for me to join up,which I would have done but wouldn't help any futher

They only directed me to the info I already have from Ancestry

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 6 Nov 2018 15:52

Hi DetEcTive,

I've been researching my partners Dutch roots - quite different search possibilities to the UK. Some good, some bad. Luckily Dutch birth and death certificates mention full names of parents and often where they lived. That's how I was able to ascertain who and where Johan/Jan's parents are/came from.

For anyone reading this who has Dutch roots they would like to research, I suggest to start here: https://www.wiewaswie.nl/en/ - the basic search functionalities are free.

I was not aware of the Anglo/German FH society, so will take a look using the link you have provided. I will also investigate Cyndi's List to see if anything is posted there.

Thanks,
Rebecca

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 6 Nov 2018 15:54

Hi Shirley,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I think finding someone 'on the ground' in Germany will be most helpful. Who knows, maybe there are some avid German research hobbyists who just happen to read this site.

Regards,
Rebecca

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Nov 2018 23:23

From what I can remember from my abortive attempts to trace German ancestors, the surviving records would be held locally. You need to track down the archive or equivalent in Lübtheen. Advice should be on Cyndis list.

I was told that they are more open if you write to them in German, even if it means using simple sentences & using a translation programme. I was also told to explain how I was related to overcome their privacy laws. That may not be relevant for your 1763 birth. Mine first appeared on the 1851 UK census.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Nov 2018 08:24

I was friends with a guy who was into German history

We made contact through genes and met on several occasions at the London meets

Coincidentally we both lived in the same area of London originally

He would go to Germany on fact finding searches for his German ancestry and was really very good at it.
He tried for my family but met with nothing . As he said you need to know where they came from as records are held locally.lots too haven't survived WW2 blitzing

He was very good at analysing surname origins too but again he couldn't find anything for my dad's side

Don't want to sound negative but it is an uphill battle to find info

Good luck :-)

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 7 Nov 2018 12:03

Hi Shirley,

Again, thanks for sharing your journey.

Yesterday evening I traced a Facebook group that I have just been accepted into: https://www.facebook.com/groups/GermanGenealogy/

It looks as if there are volunteers (no paid services allowed in the group) that can help with translations and searches. It seems there are some 22.000 members at this point in time.

I hope I get lucky.

Regards,
Rebecca

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Nov 2018 12:19

Thanks Rebecca for that group link

I have applied to join up as a member

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 7 Nov 2018 14:47

Great Shirley.

Crossing my fingers for you too.

cane

cane Report 7 Nov 2018 15:11

Good to know
Thanks Rebecca

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 7 Nov 2018 15:56

You're welcome Cane.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Nov 2018 07:58

Rebecca

Wow and wow. In two days Michael on that site has found my famlily !!

Have put info on the genealogy board

To say I,m chuffed is an understatement :-D :-D :-D

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 11 Nov 2018 09:23

That’s amazing Shirley. I am so happy for you. Knocking down brick walls is fantastic.

I’ve not yet had a reaction, however am waiting patiently.

Hope that other GR members are also successful via the Facebook site.