Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1939 register check please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CasCas

CasCas Report 24 Nov 2018 08:37

Hi

Could anyone please do a 1939 Register check for me for the following male. Im interested in finding out where he was living and with whom

Thomas Henry Baxter born 1924 in Warrington. (Orphaned when mother died in 1927)

Many thanks

Cassie

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 24 Nov 2018 09:07

Do you know his birthdate?

There is a Thomas b. March 1924, but that doesn't fit with a September Q registration.

Has he died?
Fairly recently deceased people will not be shown on the lists.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 24 Nov 2018 09:44

If he was orphaned, perhaps he was subsequently adopted and his name changed?
Have you evidence of him still with his birth name later in life?

CasCas

CasCas Report 24 Nov 2018 09:45

Hello
Thanks for replying.

His death record in 1999 in Trafford gives dob of 30/7/24.

Cassie

CasCas

CasCas Report 24 Nov 2018 09:48

Hi

Re change of name. He wasnt adopted and later married and had children and died in his original name. We think he may have gone to live with relatives when his mother passed away but dont really know. Thats what we were hoping to find out.

Regards
Cassie

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 24 Nov 2018 10:32

Struggling with various parts of name,or birthdate or year searches, but without success,

Sorry

CasCas

CasCas Report 24 Nov 2018 10:43

Thanks for looking Gwen.

The family dont know where he spent his childhood after his mum passed.

I wondered if he went to Styal orphanage as his mum was in the same workhouse (Nell Lane Manchester) as my grandma and when my grandma died the same year as his mum 1927 my dad was sent to Styal as were lots of children from that workhouse.

My dad is also not on the 1939 register either so maybe the orphans werent on there?? Just a thought.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 24 Nov 2018 11:01

The only open-record Baxter at Styal Orphanage in 1939 is an Elizabeth M Baxter, foster mother, 29/04/1881. (I know she's not related.)

The children are listed alphabetically, and on Ancestry there are five closed records between Eric Barlow and Desmond Chesters. Perhaps he's one of them.

Sometimes FMP seems more up to date re opened records than Ancestry - maybe someone with access will check?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 24 Nov 2018 11:11

Surely, 1999 was after the last update of the register, so his death would need to have been notified for the record to be opened?

CasCas

CasCas Report 24 Nov 2018 13:00

Thankyou Argylgran for looking.

Regards
Cass

CasCas

CasCas Report 24 Nov 2018 13:13

Hi ErlkaH

This is allnew to me. I didnt realise some records are closed.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 24 Nov 2018 13:37

Individuals’ records remain closed for 100 years from their date of birth (100 year rule). Records remain closed for people born less than 100 years ago until proof of death is verified. As more records become open as a result of the 100 year rule, more records will become available to search and view online at Findmypast. Of the 41 million records, approximately 13 million (around 32%) will be closed at publication. The 1939 Register will be updated regularly.

If you notice an officially closed record in the 1939 Register that you believe should be open, you may be able to request it be opened. Click here for more information.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Nov 2018 13:38

FMP are gradually opening previously closed records, but only if they can match them with a death registration.

For instance, my father 1923-2006 has been opened, but my mother's 1919-2003 isn't.
I've certainly not submitted a DC & there's no one else likely to have bothered.

CasCas, it might be worth purchasing a copy of his birth certificate - the dob on a DC is only as a good as the informant's knowledge. Sometimes they get it wrong.

If he really was born on 30/7/24, he could have been in employment. School leaving age was lower then.

malyon

malyon Report 24 Nov 2018 14:02

his parents marriage

Marriages Jun 1924 (>99%)
Baxter Thomas Sherwood Chorlton 8c 1845 Scan available - click to
Sherwood Florence M Baxter Chorlton 8c 1845

mothers
death

Deaths Dec 1927 (>99%)
Baxter Florence M 26 Manchester South 8d 52

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 24 Nov 2018 14:12

His birth is registered in JAS Qtr 1924, so the DOB isn't likely to be wrong by more than a few weeks

CasCas

CasCas Report 24 Nov 2018 17:36

Thank you for all the input everyone.

Thomas's family have told me he was born in July 1925 -I also found a birth and death record that seem to fit with this too. So even if the date was slightly out it wouldnt be far out as ErikaH says. He didnt pass away until 1999 and it was his daughter who was informant.

Maylon. His parents split before Thomas was born and he and his mother Florence ended up in a workhouse where his poor mum died aged only 25 in 1927. His father went on to marry several more times - the scoundrel!

Thanks everyone
Cassie x

:-D

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 24 Nov 2018 17:51

His birth is registered in 1924. Check it yourself on freebmd

Families can’t be relied on - documentary evidence is the most reliable source.

CasCas

CasCas Report 24 Nov 2018 19:06

Sorry my earlier post - I meant to say born 1924 not 1925 and death in 1999 corresponds.

malyon

malyon Report 24 Nov 2018 19:27

this is his birth

Thomas H Baxter
England and Wales Birth Registration Index, 1837-2008

birth registration: 1924 Warrington, Lancashire, England
mother: Sherwood

but parents only married in 1924 never lasted long if they split before thomas was born

CasCas

CasCas Report 25 Nov 2018 10:31

Yea Maylon father a civil servant left (remarried several times). Poor Florence and baby Thomas ended up in Nell Lane Workhouse where Florence doed aged just 25 in 1927.
:-(