Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John Wasdale In The Newspaper

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tawny

Tawny Report 27 Jan 2019 12:29

My 5x great grandfather John Wasdale was christened in Wasdalehead, Cumberland On September 27th 1772, He married Eleanor Valentine on July 2nd 1797 and died June 4th 1848 in St Bees, Cumberland.

I was wondering if anyone has access to Newspapers online as I have a vague recollection of John’s death being mentioned in a newspaper and wondered if anyone else could find it?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 27 Jan 2019 12:44

Have you tried googling his name

Sometimes it brings up info not found online

greyghost

greyghost Report 27 Jan 2019 12:45

Carlisle Journal 9 June 1848

At St Bees on Sunday night last, after a long illness, Mr John Wasdale, yeoman, aged 75 years. Mr Wasdale was the last male descendant of the ancient and wealthy family of Wasdale, of Wasdale Head, but more recently of Bouderdale, in Netgerwasdale. He was deservedly esteemed as a sober and industrious man, and a kind and affectionate husband and father.

Maddie

Maddie Report 27 Jan 2019 12:49

this is from fmp

instant, Miss Agnes Atkinson, formerly of Stone Dykes, aged 75. At St. Bees, on Sunday night last, after a long illness, Mr. John Wasdale, yeoman, aged 75 years. Mr. Wasdale was the last male descendant of the ancient and wealthy family of Wasdale, of Wasdale
09 June 1848 - Carlisle Journal - Carlisle, Cumberland, England

Tawny

Tawny Report 27 Jan 2019 12:50

Thank you. I knew I’d seen it somewhere but couldn’t find it again.