Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth Certs

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Adam

Adam Report 18 Mar 2019 22:34

Hi,

Do all birth certificates need to be ordered. I there a website I can get these for free, or at a cheaper fee ?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Mar 2019 22:48

no they have to be ordered , they arent free

But you can order a pdf copy from

www.gro.gov.uk

its the official goverment site for BMDS so only buy from there ,and its the cheapest

certified copies are now £12 but the pdf is now £7 and is downloadable

Foe genealogy purposes the pdf is sufficient

pdf copies are only available for births and deaths and you need the gro Ref

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 18 Mar 2019 23:03

Bear in mind that, in England & Wales, Civil Registration started Jul 1837. It wasn't compulsory to register a birth until 1874. Consequently, many parents just didn't bother. The onus was on the Registrar to seek out recently born infants & to persuade their parents to register them.

Dea

Dea Report 19 Mar 2019 07:25

You may be lucky enough to find a parish register entry of the birth / baptism record which would usually give you the parents names and address or 'if' the birth was registered, the GRO site now gives the maiden name of the mother for pre 1911 births so that you can then try to match it with a wedding for the parents. After 1911 the mothers maiden names are also recorded on FreeBMD site

Dea x

Catherine

Catherine Report 19 Mar 2019 09:51

You may also be able to find a baptism record, which could give you parents names, where they were living and father's occupation.

If you give us the name, date of birth and area where the family lived, of the person you are looking for someone may be able to help you.

greyghost

greyghost Report 19 Mar 2019 11:15

Probably related to this thread

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1376132