Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

William Mills

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnneRachel

AnneRachel Report 4 May 2019 05:39

William MILLS married Phebe HUSKINSON 9 Aug 1795 @ St Matthew, Walsall
They baptised children at Walsall: John 1796, Hannah 1798, William 1800 and Sarah 1803
Phebe wife of William MILLS was buried St Matthew, Walsall 9 Dec 1804
All of the above found on FreeREG

The most likely burial for William is 21 July 1842, William Mills aged 69, abode Square, buried St Matthew, Walsall
I have the death registration: MILLS, WILLIAM 68 GRO Reference: 1842 S Quarter in WALSALL UNION Volume 17 Page 164
William Mills , 68 yrs, Buckle Filer; died 17 July 1842 @ the Square, Walsall; informant Mary Mills (Square)
So this William was born about 1773 – 1774

Looking at the 1841 census for this address:-
1841 England, Wales & Scotland Census
Square, Walsall, Staffordshire, England
First name(s) Last name Sex Age Birth year Birth place
William Mills Male 60 1781 Staffordshire
Ann Mills Female 50 1791 Staffordshire
Joseph Mills Male 24 1817 Staffordshire
Ann Mills Female 21 1820 Staffordshire
Phoebe Mills Female 16 1825 Staffordshire
James Mills Male 14 1827 Staffordshire

Surely the William who died 1842 is the same man recorded at the same address in 1841? Even if the ages don’t quite agree?
The census suggests that he lived with a wife (Ann) and family . I can’t decipher William’s occupation on the census record.

There are baptisms at St Matthew, Walsall to parents William and Ann Mills:
Samuel 1811, Harriett 1812, Joseph 1816, Ann 1819, Charles 1822, Phoebe 1824, James 1827
For these baptisms William is recorded as a Hook Maker, the abode is either Digbeth or Square (which seem to be adjacent anyway)

So I am not sure if my William MILLS (widower of Phebe) is the same William MILLS husband of Ann and father of these children. Can any of you clever people help me find a marriage of William to Ann, to see if he is a bachelor or widower?

And what about the witness to the 1842 death, does that provide a clue? Mary Mills, abode the Square, Walsall.
There is a Mary MILLS residing at the Square in 1841 to 1861 census, a widow with daughter Harriett, possibly the widow of John MILLS who was buried 1839 aged 42, which could make this John the son of William and Phebe MILLS (John baptised 1796). So Mary MILLS the witness in 1842 could be daughter-in-law of the deceased.

In constructing this family tree I am making several assumptions, not good practice, so I am hoping to find more clues which might prove or disprove my theories.

Thank you in advance for any information or opinions.
Anne

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 4 May 2019 08:44

I think the occupation of William Mills on the 1841 census reads.....

Stable M

AnneRachel

AnneRachel Report 4 May 2019 09:18

Thanks PricklyHolly.
Yes that might be it. Pity it doesn't tie in with Hook Maker or Buckle Filer.
Appreciate your input.
Anne

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 May 2019 09:52

Not sure whether you have this.............

Name: Phoebe Huskinson
Baptism Date: 23 May 1778
Baptism Place: Saint Matthew,Walsall,Stafford,England
Father: James Huskinson
Mother: Hannah

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 May 2019 09:57

I would have thought that this marriage was connected to the death, in view of the informant's name

Name: William Mills
Marriage Date: 25 Aug 1806
Marriage Place: Saint Matthew,Walsall,Stafford,England
Spouse: Mary Shetton***************

What was the informant's 'qualification', as per the death cert?

AnneRachel

AnneRachel Report 4 May 2019 10:13

Thanks Erika
Yes I did have Phoebe Huskinson's baptism.
True, that marriage may be the informant. And given the date, not so long after the death of Phebe, one might expect that the groom could be the widower William Mills who I am researching.
Thanks for this.
Anne

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 May 2019 13:01

What is your proven direct line to William Mills?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 4 May 2019 16:42

Looking at Mary Mills on the 1841 census, I think it says she's a nurse.

In which case she may have been present at William's death in 1842 in a professional capacity, and not necessarily any relation at all.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 4 May 2019 17:07

You don't know how old your William was - so could be older than you're guessing.

??

William Mills
in the England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
Name: William Mills
Baptism Date: 16 Jul 1765
Baptism Place: Saint Matthew,Walsall,Stafford,England
Father: John Mills
Mother: Ann
FHL Film Number: 421610

His death record may well not have survived - I don't see the death of the man above, for example.

My feeling (with no proof) is that the William in 1841 census is not your William.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 May 2019 18:52

I asked the OP to tell us what it says about Mary on the death certificate. So far, she hasn’t responded

AnneRachel

AnneRachel Report 4 May 2019 19:53

Hello
Just waking up, 6.30a.m. on this side of the world, hence my slow response!
The informant's qualification? It just says "Mary Mills in attendance Square"

My link to William Mills is via his daughter Sarah who I believe married George Shifton in 1822.

True, I don't know the birth date of this William, I was hoping if I found the correct death that the age at death may lead me to a baptism, there are several possible Williams.

I'm inclined to accept that this death is not my man. He presumably died after 1804, because Phebe's burial states "wife of William Mills". He likely remarried after her death.

Still looking then. Many thanks for your suggestions.
Anne

Dea

Dea Report 4 May 2019 21:50

I believe that William's occupation on 1841 says 'staple m (maker)'.

I also believe that the 'staple' was the 'eye' that a hook went into to form a fastener.

I think therefore that this could fit with the 'hook maker' you are seeking?

You can also find what is called a 'stable belt buckle' - often used in the past as part of military or nurses uniforms etc. - a sort of interlocking hook + loop type of system.

You will find examples of these if you google.

Therefore if the 1841 says 'staple' maker or 'stable' maker, both could fit with all 3 occupations you mentioned,

Dea x

AnneRachel

AnneRachel Report 4 May 2019 22:58

Thanks Dea
That makes sense.
Learning something new every day.
And the Nurse from 1841 has become a Leach Dealer in 1851 &1861, interesting!

AnneRachel

AnneRachel Report 6 May 2019 20:21

After the death of William Mills in 1842, I wondered what happened to Ann Mills his presumed wife. She was no longer at the Square address in 1851. I believe she is the Ann Mills , widow, who married Joseph Bunch @ Wolverhampton in 1846, the father of this bride was G. Smith. If Ann’s maiden name was Smith, that leads me to the marriage of William Mills to Ann Smith @ Handsworth in 1810. The transcript of this marriage on FreeREG does not tell me if William was bachelor or widower. I suggest this couple were the ones who baptised children at Walsall between 1811 and 1827, residing at the Square.

I still think it is possible that William Mills widower of Phebe could be the same man who married Ann Smith. But lacking proof.

alviegal

alviegal Report 7 May 2019 18:44

I think this may be Joseph Bunch with Ann Mills in 1841. Of course, being 1841, there are no relationships recorded.

1841 England, Wales & Scotland Census

Princes End, Sedgley, Dudley, Staffordshire, England

Joseph Bunch Male 50 1791 Staffordshire, England
Ann Mills Female 35 1806 Staffordshire, England
Mary Haine Female 5 1836 Staffordshire, England

and his first marriage perhaps?

Joseph
Last name Bunch
Role Groom
Marital status Bachelor
Age 21
Birth year 1789
Marriage license year 1810
Marriage license date 08 Jan 1810
Spouse's first name(s) Mary
Spouse's last name Mills
Parish Wolverhampton

Mary's burial?

Mary
Last name Bunch
Age 42
Birth year 1788
Death year 1830
Burial year 1830
Burial date 20 Oct 1830
Church St Lawrence
Denomination Anglican
Place Darlaston

AnneRachel

AnneRachel Report 8 May 2019 08:59

Thanks Alviegal

Yes that could be him. But the Ann Mills with him cannot be the same Ann Mills who was at Walsall in 1841 with William, so I need to think again.

I would still really like to see details of the 1810 marriage of William Mills to Ann Smith, is anyone able to access this?