Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lersak Tampeacher

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ronald

Ronald Report 25 Jun 2020 14:46

I am not sure if this is the correct board for this enquiry. A friend of mine has been trying to find Lersak Tampeacher, a Malaysian friend, with whom he lost contact some time ago. He is unsure whether Lersak is still alive, but thought he might have moved to Australia. He knew Lersak in the 1980s, when he, Lersak was in his early 20s.
I have searched the main genealogical websites, but have found absolutely no record of him. However, I did find a reference for him in the American whitepages.com premium website, but on clicking the link all of his details had been removed. I'm intrigued as to why he seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth.
I'm sorry for the long post, but would be grateful for any assistance.
Thanks in advance.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 25 Jun 2020 15:02

He may be in some country not featured on the genealogical websites .

I see that "Whitepages Premium can only be accessed by users located inside the United States", so I assume that's where you are.

Where was Lersak when your friend knew him?

Ronald

Ronald Report 25 Jun 2020 15:15

Hi ArgyllGran, that's a good point re: genealogical websites. I'm actually in England but my cousin who lives in California checked for me.
My friend's family took Lersak in for a while at their home in New Malden, near Kingston upon Thames in Surrey, whilst Lersak's father Lerfan (I believe) was working for the BBC.
Ron

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 25 Jun 2020 16:22

Perhaps his name is spelled differently?
A Google search for the name Tampeacher produces no mention of anyone with that name, let alone Lersak or his father.

Ronald

Ronald Report 25 Jun 2020 17:08

I've checked with my friend and he claims it is definitely the correct spelling. Also, there was a reference in America with that spelling, albeit no proper details were available.
Anyway, thank you so much for your help.

alviegal

alviegal Report 25 Jun 2020 21:32

There is a Lersak Thamphicha on fb living in Melbourne?

One of his friends has the same surname and lives in Surrey.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 25 Jun 2020 21:36

That looks much more like a Malaysian name

Your version was probably anglicised for the benefit of his hosts

Valerie

Valerie Report 26 Jun 2020 04:33

I have sent 'pm' with an address and phone number from (Aus) 'White Pages' for
'L Thamphicha' living in Victoria.

Suggest 'Ask Us' librarian service at 'VIC State Library' (on-line) - they can check for FULL name address etc. (we ALL have to be 'on the rolls' here)

Valerie
WAus

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 26 Jun 2020 08:27

Too early for your Lersak, if he was in his 20s in the 1980s - but though I'd post it in case relevant, although of course it doesn't help in your current search:

Lersac Thampicha
in the UK and Ireland, Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960
Name: Lersac Thampicha
Arrival Age: 4
Birth Date: abt 1950
Port of Departure: Bangkok, Thailand
Arrival Date: 15 Dec 1954
Port of Arrival: London, England
Ports of Voyage: Bangkok; Singapore and Penang
Ship Name: Falstria
Shipping Line: East Asiatic Company Ltd
Official Number: 3603/91

Travelling with Aughfan (1915, female, married), Toy (1951, male), Lek (1891,male), Nipha (1939, female), and Seri (1937, male), all with surname Thampicha.

EDIT: - Lek aged 6 months on image, so born 1954.
See also Alviegal's post below.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 26 Jun 2020 08:37

In view of the mention of Melbourne above, and also previous mention of your friend's Lersak's father having worked for the BBC, on page two of this link there is the name Lersan Thampicha, of Radio Australia, Melbourne in 1967:

http://www.openbase.in.th/files/paritouch013.pdf

alviegal

alviegal Report 26 Jun 2020 11:55

Thought the name sounded more Thai than Malaysian.

The Age from Melbourne, Victoria, Australia on October 12, 1964
www.newspapers.com › newspage
City Mission, and by> Mr. Lersan Thamphicha.< head of the Thai section of Radio Australia! . WCTORMN PRAISES BRITISH FARMS young Audttaliani farmers, ...

Mr Lerson Thamphicha, head of the Thai section of Radio Australia, recieves sacred objects from the Consul General for Thailand, Mr Harry Fader in the Radio Australia office in Melbourne.
Photograph - 1964

https://trove.nla.gov.au/search?keyword=thamphicha

alviegal

alviegal Report 26 Jun 2020 12:16

The lady off the passenger list? Must be connected somehow, surely.

Aungfah Thamphicha

in the England & Wales, Civil Registration Death Index, 1916-2007

Name: Aungfah Thamphicha
Death Age: 88
Birth Date: 22 Feb 1912
Registration Date: Aug 2000
Registration district: Kingston Upon Thames
Inferred County: Greater London
Register Number: A70
District and Subdistrict: 2401A
Entry Number: 45

Also Lek in the passenger list was 6 months old so born 1954.
They were staying in Tolgarth Rd, London W14. Perhaps the father flew over before his family?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 26 Jun 2020 12:50

The Kingston upon Thames connection makes it seem highly likely.

Perhaps Lersak was older than Ronald's friend thought.

I've submitted a correction to Ancestry re Lek's age.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 26 Jun 2020 13:00

Probably death of "Toy" from passenger list:

THAMPHICHA, TOI SIVARAKSA 1951
GRO Reference: DOR Q2/2018 in Wandsworth (256-1C) Entry Number 517155091

Ronald

Ronald Report 26 Jun 2020 13:55

So sorry I've not come back to the boards until now, but wow, I'm overwhelmed by everybody's input. I've sent the Facebook page to my friend but haven't yet heard back.
I can't thank you all enough. My friend will be over the moon if it is his Lersak. He's not overly computer savvy, which is probably why he's been searching for so long. If it is the correct person then it's all down to you wonderful people.
I will report back asap.
In the meantime stay safe all of you.
Ron