Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Struggling to find burial

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MartinHill

MartinHill Report 9 Jul 2020 09:01

Im really struggling with trying to finf the burial/church location for my ancestors. I am using FREEREG,FREECEN and FREEBMD as well as the searches on this site but im having no luck, please help.

Ann HILL (LLOYD) born 1825, Wolverhampton
Baptism - 18/08/1825, st peters wolverhampton
Married - George HILL, 24/05/1846, Saint Marks, Shelton, Staffordshire
Died - 120881, 7 Nelson Place, Hanley

George HILL, born around 1825, Staffordshire
Father - William HILL
Mother - Sarah HILL (BOUGHEY)

I have recently found the unmarked paupers graves of William and Sarah, they are buried at Hanley Borough Cemetry if that helps. Thank you.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 9 Jul 2020 09:06

It may be the burial records aren’t online

Not found many for my ancestors

What I have done before is to get the death certificate and then contact the parks and cemeteries dept of the local council giving them the details from the cert

Was done free in the past but most now charge a search fee

At the present time though it’s possible not many staff are working

MartinHill

MartinHill Report 9 Jul 2020 09:11

Thanks Shirley, yes I have recently had to pay the £30 search fee with the local authorities to find a grave but im not sure they could do it without know the actual cemetery. I may gave them a call. Thanks

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 9 Jul 2020 09:31

Yes they can do it from just the death cert details

I did it for a death in 1921 medway area and they were able very quickly to tell me where and when buried and was a public grave no markers .

They even marked the plot for me at the cemetery so I could take a picture

I was looking on behalf of her grandson whose father had been a bhc to Canada and didn’t know what happened to the parents

We had a family connection through the mums side which was how the contact was made

I found the council very helpful

MartinHill

MartinHill Report 9 Jul 2020 09:44

Yes they put a marker down for me so I could lay flowers, Iv just emailed them to see if they can locate the cemetery and grave based on a date and place of death only. I cant imagine that anyone had been to there grave site since 1867 so it was nice to go and pay my respects, after all I wouldnt be here without them :-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 9 Jul 2020 13:41

1867 death is more likely to have been a burial at a local churchyard

the council may not hold those records but may be able to suggest who holds parish records